pierce county wa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wulfe

Hi Wulfe - good news. We're making progress. I like the suggestion that Freqseeker gave you. When you see PCSO come up on your scanner, push the CHAN button. Turn the scroll knob on the top of the scanner to the right or the left a few clicks until you see the PCSO East talkgroup. Listen to that talkgroup for a little while. It might be silent for a short time but just sit tight.

Also remember one thing - what you hear on Broadcastify is delayed. So your scanner and the internet audio WILL NOT be heard at the same time. You will should hear it on your scanner first and then Broadcastify about 30 to 45 seconds later.
Thank you and good morning to you. Yes I did that and new about wifi delay. That is why I surprised still, that I am not hearing any dispatches for my Parkland/spanaway area buy JBLM base. I even tryied changing the service typ from dispatch to law talkk, didn,t work ok for other pcso but not parkland/spanaway. So weird.
Not sure if the different antennas coming will make any difference. I am so disappointed right now. And still have not heard back from Uniden BCD436HP support supervisor yet eather. OTHER THEN THAT I did get a good nights sleep after being on this project al day

Wulfe

Hi Wulfe - good news. We're making progress. I like the suggestion that Freqseeker gave you. When you see PCSO come up on your scanner, push the CHAN button. Turn the scroll knob on the top of the scanner to the right or the left a few clicks until you see the PCSO East talkgroup. Listen to that talkgroup for a little while. It might be silent for a short time but just sit tight.

Also remember one thing - what you hear on Broadcastify is delayed. So your scanner and the internet audio WILL NOT be heard at the same time. You will should hear it on your scanner first and then Broadcastify about 30 to 45 seconds later.
Just a thought:
what about down loady it directly from RF. I am a member , Not sure How to do it. But there web sight says it can be done, What about your thoughts on that matter?

RBMTS

The frequency and talk group information in Sentinel is coming from Radio Reference. So there is no benefit to pulling RR info and manually entering it. I haven't made any recent changes to the Pierce County data so there is nothing new beyond what is already in Sentinel.

freqseeker

Thank you and good morning to you. Yes I did that and new about wifi delay. That is why I surprised still, that I am not hearing any dispatches for my Parkland/spanaway area buy JBLM base. I even tryied changing the service typ from dispatch to law talkk, didn,t work ok for other pcso but not parkland/spanaway. So weird.
I'm a little confused about your statement. You are not hearing dispatches for Parkland/Spanaway, but do you hear any transmissions on the PCSO East talkgroups? I'm not really up to speed with SS911 but simulcast issues may be in play hear.
You can try ID Search mode if you haven't already. You will receive everything on the system less encrypted comms.
My question to you is have you ever heard PCSO East on your scanner?
Hang in there, figuring things out is half the fun!

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if the different antennas coming will make any difference. I am so disappointed right now. And still have not heard back from Uniden BCD436HP support supervisor yet eather. OTHER THEN THAT I did get a good nights sleep after being on this project al day

Wulfe:
Uniden cannot help unless there is a defect in the scanner itself - which, if you are receiving stuff, is not the case. Concentrate your efforts here, here are the people that are familiar with what is happening locally - Uniden doesn't have a clue.

Also: someone suggested turning on ID Search for SS911 - you will hear everything on the system.

Also: if you are picking up other traffic from the SS911 system, a different antenna will probably not make a difference.

You mentioned JBLM. How close are you? Years ago, McChord was putting out a TON of 800Mhz RFI (interference) from God knows what (ILS?) and vehemently denied it when we inquired (US West Cellular at the time). JBLM most certainly still has a lot of high power RF coming from it - maybe you have an RFI problem? Maybe try different filter settings?

Last edited:

Wulfe

Wulfe:
Uniden cannot help unless there is a defect in the scanner itself - which, if you are receiving stuff, is not the case. Concentrate your efforts here, here are the people that are familiar with what is happening locally - Uniden doesn't have a clue.

Also: someone suggested turning on ID Search for SS911 - you will hear everything on the system.

Also: if you are picking up other traffic from the SS911 system, a different antenna will probably not make a difference.

You mentioned JBLM. How close are you? Years ago, McChord was putting out a TON of 800Mhz RFI (interference) from God knows what (ILS?) and vehemently denied it when we inquired (US West Cellular at the time). JBLM most certainly still has a lot of high power RF coming from it - maybe you have an RFI problem? Maybe try different filter settings?
Ok I am doing that ID on for SS911, I am right across the Spanaway Lake from JBLM I will post after I get the new antannas to see if they help at all. I am in a apartment complex so that my allso have some thing to do with it. So I will try the window mount. also I am going to go for a drive an see what happens !!!!!!!!!

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
I doubt you are suffering from a low signal where you are at. (Towers at Meridian and 251th, 4812 196th St E and over on Hoffman Hill in Dupont). More likely RFI from a nearby cell tower, or JBLM. Note that a better antenna may actually exacerbate the problem. Now, if the RFI is coming from something inside of your apartment (or adjacent apartment), sure an antenna may help. Also... SS911 sites are simulcast, and radios other than the SDS100/200 can have problems with it. (one of the reasons the SDS was made)

You can always try manually entering control channels and then moving the radio / antenna around to see where the signal strength is strongest.

Wulfe

I'm a little confused about your statement. You are not hearing dispatches for Parkland/Spanaway, but do you hear any transmissions on the PCSO East talkgroups? I'm not really up to speed with SS911 but simulcast issues may be in play hear.
You can try ID Search mode if you haven't already. You will receive everything on the system less encrypted comms.
My question to you is have you ever heard PCSO East on your scanner?
Hang in there, figuring things out is half the fun!
Yes your correct, I am hearing PCSO in the Buckly tower, Just not in the Spanaway / Parkland area. Not for my area, I did go for a drive and was able to see the Signal meter on my scanner now. Not sure how to do ID search yet. Just got the scanner a couple days ago. Still trying to go through manual.
The frequency and talk group information in Sentinel is coming from Radio Reference. So there is no benefit to pulling RR info and manually entering it. I haven't made any recent changes to the Pierce County data so there is nothing new beyond what is already in Sentinel.
I just got a message saying No stored TGID when I am Holding on South sound 911

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Yes your correct, I am hearing PCSO in the Buckly tower, Just not in the Spanaway / Parkland area. Not for my area, I did go for a drive and was able to see the Signal meter on my scanner now. Not sure how to do ID search yet. Just got the scanner a couple days ago. Still trying to go through manual.

Is this using the hpe file I sent you?
There are 9 TGs under SS911 / Law Enforcement, so you must be not doing something correctly. Recheck everything... (location enabled//disabled? It probably was enabled on the one I sent, and if you don't have GPS, or location set manually, it will give you problems.)

Yes, I know it is probably frustrating - there is a learning curve to these radios and Sentinel. Hint: look at everything using Sentinel. MUCH easier to spot and correct mistakes. This includes looking at your profile settings.

Wulfe

Is this using the hpe file I sent you?
There are 9 TGs under SS911 / Law Enforcement, so you must be not doing something correctly. Recheck everything... (location enabled//disabled? It probably was enabled on the one I sent, and if you don't have GPS, or location set manually, it will give you problems.)

Yes, I know it is probably frustrating - there is a learning curve to these radios and Sentinel. Hint: look at everything using Sentinel. MUCH easier to spot and correct mistakes. This includes looking at your profile settings.
Good morning. You are so correct! The learning curve is so rewarding though, If I could just remember what I am learning. Being Dyslectic is so Frustrating. I did how ever deleted what was in my scanner, And reinstall the file you sent me. SO back to working ok. I am figuring out how to use the profile part of Sentinel. That is interesting. So will I am waiting on the new antenna's. I am doing some more research on this radio and Sentinel program. SO thanks for the get back to me. Maybe some day we can meet up.

freqseeker

Yes your correct, I am hearing PCSO in the Buckly tower, Just not in the Spanaway / Parkland area.
The Buckley site is very fringe to Spanaway. I would use the Orting site. The file Nessnet sent you should have that site, so as he said be sure to set your location. You can do this by zip code for now. It's best to use Lat and Lon from a source like Google maps.
Here is the coverage for the Buckley site. Buckley site.
Here is the coverage for the Orting site. Orting site.

To set your location Set location.
The entire easier to read manual Mark's Easier to Read Manual BCD436HP. You can find how to do ID Search here. I think that will only add to the confusion at this point. The file you were sent should do all you need.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
The Buckley site is very fringe to Spanaway. I would use the Orting site. The file Nessnet sent you should have that site, so as he said be sure to set your location. You can do this by zip code for now. It's best to use Lat and Lon from a source like Google maps.
Here is the coverage for the Buckley site. Buckley site.
Here is the coverage for the Orting site. Orting site.

To set your location Set location.
The entire easier to read manual Mark's Easier to Read Manual BCD436HP. You can find how to do ID Search here. I think that will only add to the confusion at this point. The file you were sent should do all you need.

One note, or correction to the above. Yes, Buckley is a single site out in the boonies.

But, Orting is "simulcast (as is Tacoma and South). Meaning these are actually a series of individual sites (towers), each simulcasting. And, the location data in RR is not for a site, but the geographic approximation of the center of these individual tower's coverage. In post #27, I put the link for the FCC licenses, which have maps of the actual (individual) towers making up Tacoma, Orting, and South simulcast 'sites'.

Last edited:

freqseeker

But, Orting is "simulcast (as is Tacoma and South). Meaning these are actually a series of individual sites simulcasting. In post #27, I put the link for the FCC licenses, which have maps of the actual (individual) sites.
I noted that briefly in post #24. I wanted to rule out programming issues.
I'm not really up to speed with SS911 but simulcast issues may be in play hear.
I know from South King county, SS911 simulcast was an issue until I bought the SDS 200. At this point I'm trying to eliminate the simple things. I think you pointed out if it is a simulcast problem the new antennas may make it worse, and I totally agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.