Pike County, MO frequincies outdated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screwby

...Or am I doing it wrong? A little while back I found an old Hi-Lo 800MHz PRO-24 scanner, so I thought I would try using it. I first googled frequencies in my area and I ended up at radioreference.com at my county page and I programmed the frequencies into the scanner. My big problem is, practically no chatter ever comes through or it's a random "10-4". I've programmed all the frequencies I could in my area, and still all I get is random bits of misc chatter. Or is it just the scanner is too outdated to be of use? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm still newb.

Highly appreciated, Thanks.

rabidmoose57

There are no dumb questons.......

Welcome to the Radio Reference family! While I am unfamiliar with Pike county, it would be my guess is that it is a trunked system. If that is the case you'll need a trunking scanner to make much sense of it. The scattered bits are caused by the shifting frequencies of a trunked system. Trunking scanners can keep track of the conversations when they do that. TIme to spend some money I'm afraid. Never worry if a question is "dumb"...the only time a question is dumb is when it's never asked. This is a great place to learn, and there are a ton of good people here willing to help! Once again Welcome aboard!

Screwby

I see I see. I was thinking maybe I was out of range, but trunked seems like a better explanation, as I live only 4 miles out of town. I wouldn't mind dropping some money into this, but I'm going to check the local pawn shop and see what information I can get from them, and if they have any newer frequencies. And what are there differences between frequencies? My scanner accepts 154.69500, through appears as 154.695 when I review the channel. It doesn't seem to accept 44.86000 or 460.18750. Are the last two trunked/CB/'???' or something? =P

Thanks again.

rabidmoose57

Ah....disreguard last transmition.......

I went and looked at the database entry for Pike county after I made that last post.......oops. It would seem the Pike county is all conventional vhf/uhf stuff. Should have checked before I spoke. Sorry. YOu'll find a complete listing for your county in the afore mentioned database. It may be a reception problem, you may just need a better antenna. In any event, sorry if my post confused or misdirected you.

nascarfan999

Try these if you haven't

Pike County is definitely not on any kind of fancy trunking system. I've not been up that way much recently, but their primary frequency is 155.700 with a PL tone of 141.3. If your scanner can put the PL tone in I would recommend it as the Troy Police is on 155.690 and can bleed over onto 155.700 depending on where you are. The only other active frequency I've found for the sheriff is a repeated over in Clarksville. I do not remember that frequency off hand but I am sure it is in the database.

Keep in mind that Pike county is a very small county population wise and as such, there won't be a lot of radio traffic. In addition, you will only be able to hear the deputies if you are fairly close to them. If you want more to listen to in that area, you can add the Bowling Green PD (155.760) and Louisiana PD (155.010).

Status
Not open for further replies.