Pikes Peak International Hill Climb comm. question

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinHahn

I am looking for a little bit of advice/information if anyone has it relating to the communications set up for the Pikes Peak Interational Hill Climb.

Mainly I am interested in being able to monitor the communications, specifically the car tracking net to help me be more aware after what happened last year.

I know that a HAM radio would more than likely be my best solution, but I haven't gotten my liscense yet, and the thought of cluttering up the net by accidently pressing the transmit button bothers me.

Can anyone speak to a suitable hand held with a locking transmit button that will have enough power to be able to get into the net (I realize that a car mounted unit would be my best choice as it would be far more powerful, but a dash mounted unit doesn't fulfill my mobility requirements in this instance)?

Or for that matter does anyone know what freq they will be using?

Can anyone recommend a hand held scanner that will have enough power and recieving strength built in to be able to listen in on the net?

I plan on getting my HAM lisence within the end of the year, but that's not going to happen before the end of the month, and as I stated, the thought of potentially disrupting the very net I want to listen in on is something I want to avoid.

M

mpg0515

Some info that I know

KevinHahn said:
bump?

anyone?

Bueller?

Bueller?

Well, most likely there will be several frequencies.... Some that come to mind

146.970 PL100.0 (Pike's Peak FM Association) repeaters that are on Pike's Peak
448.450 PL100.0 ""
A couple others commonly used: 446.000 National UHF simplex/146.520 National VHF simplex.

I'm am sure that many more frequencies will be used so check out this web page(http://www.ppfma.org/)

I am not sure what you mean by enough power to listen?? Any scanner handheld or mobile will do you fine. The important part is the antenna for simplex stations. The repeaters I can hear up hear in FTC with a handheld so I don't think you will have any problems there.

Also almost every amateur radio/commercial radio on the market has the ability to lock out the transmit. For amateur use I really like Kenwood radios. I have a TH-G71A, TH-F6A, and a TH-22A. But there are tons out there so look around. A good place to start would be Ham Radio Outlet (http://hamradiooutlet.com/) for these types of radios etc...

Good luck and maybe a ham down your way will chime in with some more info....

Last edited:

AngelFire91

Database Admin
I've worked race safety, (the white trucks with lights and sirens) for a couple of years now and have a list of frequencies, unfortunently they are packed away in a box since I just moved. I'll see if I can't get to them tomorrow and post back. They're in the 450's mhz I believe, and there will be a freq for Timing, Lower Safety, Upper safety and All safety. but I'll let you know. I know if you want to listen to the City's Pikes Peak Rangers they use the Elpaso 800 system Talkgroup 19728 and UHF 453.90mhz Hopefully that will hold you over for now, I'll see if I can't get the race safety freqs. for ya tomorrow.

Thanks,
Kevin

KevinHahn

AngelFire91 said:
I've worked race safety, (the white trucks with lights and sirens) for a couple of years now and have a list of frequencies, unfortunently they are packed away in a box since I just moved. I'll see if I can't get to them tomorrow and post back. They're in the 450's mhz I believe, and there will be a freq for Timing, Lower Safety, Upper safety and All safety. but I'll let you know. I know if you want to listen to the City's Pikes Peak Rangers they use the Elpaso 800 system Talkgroup 19728 and UHF 453.90mhz Hopefully that will hold you over for now, I'll see if I can't get the race safety freqs. for ya tomorrow.

Thanks,
Kevin

Thanks guys!

I just wanted to make sure that whatever I got had the frequency range to tide me over for the Peak until I can get more educated and get something serious.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
On some radios, you can change the ofset (the spacing of what the radio will transmit) to outside of the hamband. If you key up, it will not transmit. I do that on several repeaters I have setup as RX only.

As an example. 145.350 with a - offset of 2mhz instead of the 600khz standard.

KevinHahn

AngelFire91 said:

Thanks,
Kevin

Were you able to find anything out? Otherwise I'll see if they will tell me next week I suppose?

AngelFire91

Database Admin
KevinHahn said:
Were you able to find anything out? Otherwise I'll see if they will tell me next week I suppose?

Yeah, sorry, I was busy with work and all, you know how it goes. Anyway:

464.55 is Safety one
464.50 is Safety two & Timing

Some spots are kind of hard to hear anything, you can try the inputs also, 469.55 and 469.50. maybe hear one side at least.

Ham operators are also used for spotting and other various tasks, usually the PPFMA 146.97 repeater is used as staging and resources. 146.82 is the MARC repeater out of Woodland park and is also used. They usually put up a portable repeater for the actual event, and I can't seem to remember the frequency and of course I don't have it written down. but you can try any of the following, it should be one of those, since they are what came out of my radio's memory:

You should be able to get something out of that. Hope it helps.

Kevin

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Race to the Clouds

Getting media remote broadcast traffic today in the Denver Metro area from the race on Pikes Peak Highway, freq 153.110

Jim<

Status
Not open for further replies.