Pilot has one windmilling...

Status
Not open for further replies.

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
This is driving me crazy.... about 0030 ET I heard someone talking to their maintenance control about having good oil pressure in the windmilling engine.... The only ID the Pilot used was Tapi 719 (or Tappy?).... he said he was 30 minutes out and wondered with Maintenance Control whether it would be ok to continue.... all of this was on 130.200 using SFO.... Did anyone else hear this? Does anyone know which Airline is call sign Tapi (Tappy)? I looked on flightaware.com and couldn't find anything with that callsign in the air at that time.....

thanx for the help.... I am just puzzled....

collier

trace1

unitcharlie said:
Does anyone know which Airline is call sign Tapi (Tappy)? I looked on flightaware.com and couldn't find anything with that callsign in the air at that time.....

Are you sure it was an airline, could have been TAPPI 719 a corporate/private jet perhaps?

Google TAPPI and see what you come up with...

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
The only folks I have heard on the ARINC Flight Check freqs have been airlines.... Don't fully understand the +4/-4 indications but from monitoring I know the freqs for the airports within air range at altitude from me (TYS is 130.200 and =CVG is 129.350--both talk to me daily).... The pilot said Tappy, don't know the correct spelling, but he called San Fransisco radio and identified himself as Tapi (or Tappy) 719, wanted maintenance control and asked about his windmilling engine.... nothing found on my searches....

daedalus

Sounds like it may be TAP - the Portugese airline (Trans Air Portugal?)

2nd thought - I can't imagine TAP running prop aircraft in the US!

bessiedawg

Given how strong the signal was when you heard it, what major airport might have been 30 minutes away? If you could figure out what airport they may ahve been headed to, you might be able to go back into "FlightAware" to see if a flight with that number laded about that time. Kinda a round about way, but it might be a shot.

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
I am about 60 miles south of KCVG, 50 miles east of KSDF maybe 150 north of KTYS.... at night I can watch the approach and departure activity for both Louisville and Northern KY....and KLEX is right in my back yard..... I am listening to Delta flights holding in the vicinity of Bowling Green (about 125 miles southwest).... Never could find anything on flightaware.com with a Tappy or at 719. It is hard to tell.... I appreciate all the help, though, that's what makes this site so awesome!
collier

bessiedawg

The only thing even close that I came up with was Tap Intrnational Cargo, which is assigned the call sign of "TAP" If you were to add an I for "International" to that, I suppose some pilots might say "TAPI". However I could find no current info on them. It sounded as if they might be defunct.

KG4KHQ

Premium Subscriber
Cappy 719

How about CAPPY 719, Capital Cargo?...Their code is CCI...using Flightaware, I plugged in CCI719 and got a Boeing 727 that flies on a schedule that goes from Atlanta to Toledo, right over CVG. I guess it could be turbine blades in one of the engines windmilling.

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
Good catch! The times are perfect... it would have been almost directly overhead while they were talking about the windmilling and the oil pressure--I can't see not feathering a prop so, I think you are correct, it has to be a jet... the date is wrong, but that might just be flightaware.... the log says they landed two days ago which is correct... so the mystery is solved! Thanx! (This is why rr.com is so awesome)

Status
Not open for further replies.