pilot to pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I listen to the company frequencies for Airlines out of Philly International. You can search large cities like New York Philadelphia excetera for the company frequencies for each Airline and I would imagine they're good all over the country or wherever the airlines fly to.

The kind of traffic I hear is stuff like we're going to need a wheelchair at gate XX or sometimes their maintenance calls or inquiries to talk to a maintenance person regarding a problem. Sometimes they talk about Personnel changes. Pretty much company business.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
The kind of traffic I hear is stuff like we're going to need a wheelchair at gate XX or sometimes their maintenance calls or inquiries to talk to a maintenance person regarding a problem. Sometimes they talk about Personnel changes. Pretty much company business.

Yep, pretty much the same type talk I hear on these company licensed frequencies.
I once heard a distant call about an abusive passenger and they were talking about diverting the flight but it went out of my range and I never heard what happened. That was ages ago. If that happened today, it would have probably been all over the news with cell phone video and all.

MrColad

To answer the OPS original question official FAA documentation will list 122.75 MHz as the primary air to air frequency for fixed wing aircraft and 123.025 MHz as the primary frequency for rotary winged aircraft. Officially 123.45 MHz is assigned for Oceanic region air to air communications and within the airspace over CONUS it's officially assigned for flight test reports only however in the real world of aviation the simplicity of pilots agreeing to use 123.45 MHz for their primary mode for private communications is evident. I have monitored 123.45 MHz for decades and most of the communications on 123.45 MHz are usually corporate bizjet, commuter jet, medic flight and flight school pilots flying most often late at night asking about fellow pilots that have moved on, trading jokes, catching up with corporate gossip or complaining about this, that or the other. I'm quite sure the commercial airline pilots are on there too but I very rarely hear them when I listen the most usually between 1:00AM and 5:00AM when the international flights are over water and the domestic flights are in the hangers being washed externally or on the tarmac being internally cleaned and prepped for the morning departures. As for the ARINC/SITA/Rockwell Collins airline company frequencies that 144 channel bandplan never changes so I keep that bank going no matter where I go. I don't care about individual airline reassignments because whatever frequency they to go to I'll hear them. Once again I'm sure everyone is aware of the well published two sub bands 128.825 MHz to 132. MHz and 136.5 MHz to 136.975 MHz but there are two additional frequencies and they are 122.825 MHz and 122.875 MHz. As usual since I don't do ACARS I have the ones the www.acarsd.org/ACARS_frequencies website publishes locked out.

Last edited:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yeppers, I listen to Pilot to Pilot Helo traffic everyday, as a newspaper man I enjoy 135. 875 which is a news Chopper to News Chopper pilot frequency for coordination and maneuvering over news stories and we have at least three Choppers all the time flying around the Philly area with all the fires and crime we have.

Great listening, of course the news desk doesn't listen to that frequency so it's funny to hear the crews make fun of the assignment desk and share all their information back and forth to their competitor LOL. They rarely used the secondary news Chopper Channel 135.975.

123.025 is a very busy Channel over Philly between city and state police helos and all of the Medevac, news and taxi service Choppers, as soon as one enters the Philly area they announce themselves with their intentions and communicate with the other Choppers. Sort of a collision avoidance system.

We have all the other National Unicom frequencies but I just focus on the Choppers.

Of course we always have Guuuuaaaarrrrd... 121.5 which is fairly busy with Chit Chat, antics and of course once in a while... somebody tipping off someone else that the towers looking for him on a certain frequency Etc.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I won't name the airline but I heard a pilot talking to the maintenance base. He said, *I don't know what you used to clean the cabin, but my eyes are watering so bad that I can't see a thing." Very comforting to hear that! The public doesn't realize how often equipment fails on planes. It's a good thing they have backups. I used to listen to the failure reports all of the time. If I remember correctly, I have heard a lot of gliders talking to each other on 123.3.

Last edited:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I won't name the airline but I heard a pilot talking to the maintenance base. He said, *I don't know what you used to clean the cabin, but my eyes are watering so bad that I can't see a thing." Very comforting to hear that! The public doesn't realize how often equipment fails on planes. It's a good thing they have backups. I used to listen to the failure reports all of the time. If I remember correctly, I have heard a lot of gliders talking to each other on 123.3.
Hey Jim, I've heard a lot of things from Airlines over the years on the radio that make me wonder LOL.

wbswetnam

Hey Jim, I've heard a lot of things from Airlines over the years on the radio that make me wonder LOL.
A few years ago, I heard an irate air traffic controller say the following to the pilot: "Flight _ _ _, I told you to descend to seventy five hundred. Seventy five hundred! What part of 'descend to seventy five hundred' do you not understand??!!" LOL

129.450 I have to plug that one in, I just realized that I'm not monitoring it.

Status
Not open for further replies.