Pima County - PCWIN update Dec 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
Jim,

I'd like to make a suggestion, if I may. This would also apply to anyone with ability to listen to PCWIN.

It is getting closer and closer to release date and there is a lot of testing going on. Some Talk Groups are more active than others. I have been listening with my PSR-800's for a very long time and have watched the progression with great interest. I now own the 436 and 536.

What I am suggesting, to help ID things correctly, that any TG you hear, it would be great to notate, what was the unit call, i.e. Brush-182, 1Adam12, etc.

I suspect that we are going to come up with ID's now, then change them based upon the new things we are hearing. It would be nice to start a list of who is on the TG here in the forum, before we begin updating the database. Once we feel confident of who is using the TG and the actual use, we should then add it to the database. I'm not convinced that all the testing correctly reflects all of the uses and or users. I think it is just that - on most TG's - testing. Getting the feel of the radio.

Keep in mind that some of the players represent many smaller departments, i.e. Drexel-Heights FD. If you don't have the resource to ID the department, then just put the Unit ID on here. Others will be able to ID the department based on the Unit ID, usually :)

I'm recommending that for now, if we can ID something as Fire, PD, SO, let's call it that, but hold off on the specific ID's unless we hear it on the scanner, i.e. Team-1, TAC-1.

What do you think ?

kd7eir

Sounds perfectly logical to me.

The Corona de Tucson TG from yesterday was Brush-182 and Chief-182.

PCSO TG was determined by the use code 999 and the call locations that they were using.

PSTA was determined by the directions regarding the emergency vehicle driving course they were conducting.

In the future I will follow your suggestion and list any unit identifiers that I hear on each TG.

Jim,

I'd like to make a suggestion, if I may. This would also apply to anyone with ability to listen to PCWIN.

It is getting closer and closer to release date and there is a lot of testing going on. Some Talk Groups are more active than others. I have been listening with my PSR-800's for a very long time and have watched the progression with great interest. I now own the 436 and 536.

What I am suggesting, to help ID things correctly, that any TG you hear, it would be great to notate, what was the unit call, i.e. Brush-182, 1Adam12, etc.

I suspect that we are going to come up with ID's now, then change them based upon the new things we are hearing. It would be nice to start a list of who is on the TG here in the forum, before we begin updating the database. Once we feel confident of who is using the TG and the actual use, we should then add it to the database. I'm not convinced that all the testing correctly reflects all of the uses and or users. I think it is just that - on most TG's - testing. Getting the feel of the radio.

Keep in mind that some of the players represent many smaller departments, i.e. Drexel-Heights FD. If you don't have the resource to ID the department, then just put the Unit ID on here. Others will be able to ID the department based on the Unit ID, usually :)

I'm recommending that for now, if we can ID something as Fire, PD, SO, let's call it that, but hold off on the specific ID's unless we hear it on the scanner, i.e. Team-1, TAC-1.

What do you think ?

kd7eir

TGID 15000 - Tucson Fire Dispatch calling Engine 12, advising Engine 12 that they activated their emergency alarm, thanking Engine 12 for using the code 4 verbiage
TGID 15001 - Engine 12 calling Tucson Fire Dispatch
TGID 15017 - Commo Supervisor asking for clarification about address of a call
TGID 19011 - UNID unit telling 44 that a number 3 male carrying a trash bag walked up to the apartment. 46 asking if they should stop the female wearing white tank top and shorts riding mountain bike east on Speedway

Last edited:

cookmaster

PCWIN word for word

Hey Jim,good evening,I seen your post,I thought might add my two pennies on this,I don't think it's a good idea to post word for word on this open forum on what you are listening to on PCWIN,if the wrong people see what you or anybody else is reporting on the radio activity from such a vary new radio system,this can cause our enjoyment of this fun and vary nice radio system to go fully Encrypted just by what we say in a public forum like this one,I heard the same transmissions,I don't think that it should have went public,some of those transmissions was vary sensitive!!!

kd7eir

Hey Jim,good evening,I seen your post,I thought might add my two pennies on this,I don't think it's a good idea to post word for word on this open forum on what you are listening to on PCWIN,if the wrong people see what you or anybody else is reporting on the radio activity from such a vary new radio system,this can cause our enjoyment of this fun and vary nice radio system to go fully Encrypted just by what we say in a public forum like this one,I heard the same transmissions,I don't think that it should have went public,some of those transmissions was vary sensitive!!!

I appreciate your viewpoint and will keep it in mind, I will vastly limit the information that I share to insure that nothing too specific is posted. I will agree with you that I went into too much detail.

I was previously simply posting the agencies that were identified but I was asked to not do that and post who I heard. Posting something such as "44 talking to 46" is useless in helping people identify what agency is using which TGID.

I completely understand the concern that this attitude could change at any time and ruin our ability to stay informed and even entertained at times, and I certainly do not wish to contribute to any heightened concern in this area.

This is how I would now report what I heard to keep it sanitized -

TGID 15000 - Someone talking to 12
TGID 15001 - 12 calling someone
TGID 15017 - Someone asking for clarification
TGID 19011 - 44 and 46 talking

I accept being chastised. I will be much more circumspect in the information that I publicly submit.

Last edited:

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Sounds like things are moving right along down there. Can't wait to come down again and sample the new system for myself! I've been eagerly awaiting this rollout so I can try out the new scanner on a Phase II system.

I agree with cookmaster, let's keep what is heard on these systems out of public forum view. A PM to Flano with the details of what you're hearing should suffice to get the system talkgroups loaded into the database.

I also recommend NOT putting up a feed for this system. We've seen what doing that has done to the Phoenix RWC, which now boasts more encrypted channels than not. PPD is all but useless to listen to now, because outside of the initial dispatch, pretty much every call that isn't a cat up a tree or some such moves to a secure channel. When asked why they did it, they cited that there were too many idiots listening on cell phones out there doing dumb stuff. As much as I think that's a BS answer, let's do ourselves a big favor and keep the cell phone dummies from ruining another public safety system for us. Agreed?

-AZ

jeffrykeen

Premium Subscriber
Did you manually program your scanner for this PCWIN system or use one of the computer software programs? I purchased a PSR-800 and the BCD536hp in preperation for this new system. I tried programming with the software and have had no luck getting it to work yet.

kd7eir

Did you manually program your scanner for this PCWIN system or use one of the computer software programs? I purchased a PSR-800 and the BCD536hp in preperation for this new system. I tried programming with the software and have had no luck getting it to work yet.

I manually programmed it, but now that there are a couple talkgroups listed for it at RR it appears in Sentinel. Turn on ID search and you should pick up the test broadcasts. Currently it is strictly in testing, so the amount of traffic varies from day to day.

beavis71cox

Awesome! Thank you very much for the quick reply. I have the 106/500, and I pulled it out today after a couple years in the closet. Read the article about the switch in the paper today. I guess I will have to upgrade to the new Uniden. However, I feel I must say that even though Tucson went to PCWIN, there are still agencies around here that are not. I can still pick up DPS/Highway Patrol, Tohono O'Odham police, Pascua Yaqui Police, Sahuarita Police and many others. Thanks again!

cookmaster

Pima County update

hey beavis71cox,actually Pasqua Yaqui Police, and Sahuarita Police Depts is on PCWIN, so you would need one of the newer Scanners to listen to them, but rest of them on your list you can listen to right now!!!

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
I am picking up everyone (TFD, TPD, PCSO (including the Jail), RMFD, PCC, UAPD) just fine.

Well, let's hope it stays that way. Please be super careful feed providers to only feed channels that have little value to the bad guys, and Tucson news media, PLEASE don't show up to any active shooter scenes like some yutz here in Phoenix did. They can encrypt this whole thing at the click of a mouse and believe me when I tell you there are some folks in many of these departments who are just itching for an excuse to do just that.

-AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.