Pima County Wireless Integrated Network TRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Very interesting, especially the supporting letter. It goes into good detail about the system layout and tower locations. It looks like they have used the Phoenix RWC as a model. Here is a summary for those that do not want to read the entire document:

There will be two overlapping simulcast sites in Tucson (just like Phoenix simulcast A and B). There will be a simulcast site for the North County (similar to Simulcast C, G, F, and H in the valley). There will be high sites that are individual non-simulcast sites (similar the High Sites on the RWC).

Last edited:

rpgaun

Premium Subscriber
So, they are going out on their own instead of partnering in the Yuma (now somewhat state) system??

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
The participation in the state system has not been discussed publicly at any of the recent PCWIN meetings.

Most of the discussions, still revolve around correcting FCC application/authorization snafus, construction of the sites, moneys to pay for the dwindling participants in the new system, shifting of deployment dates, etc.....

This system has been jinxed from the start with mishaps and other snafus, and still has some hurdles to overcome.

It does appear that they are leaning towards the RWC model for operations and such.

It still remains to be seen how this will really pan out.

jimbob11

Premium Subscriber
Tucson Scanning

I just purchased a GRE PSR-800 scanner (shipping today). From what I just read; does this mean I will not be able to scan Tucson Police and Fire? It is a lot of money to spend for a useless scanner if the frequencies will be blocked. Does Phoenix have the same problem? HELP!!

KE7VJW

Premium Subscriber
It’s Kind of hard to say right now. The new system is supposed to be Phase II TDMA, but I don’t think Motorola has released that yet and the PSR 800 can decode X-TDMA which the new system will be maybe. No one knows if there will be a fix for the 800 when everything goes Phase II TDMA.

I don’t know when the new system will be up and running with all of the problems they have had. I do know that whatever system shows up surveillance and SWAT channels for TPD will be encrypted and no scanner will be able to decode that.

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
I just purchased a GRE PSR-800 scanner (shipping today). From what I just read; does this mean I will not be able to scan Tucson Police and Fire? It is a lot of money to spend for a useless scanner if the frequencies will be blocked. Does Phoenix have the same problem? HELP!!

For the quick answer, you will get lots of enjoyment out of your 800 for now. If things go as planned, it'll still be 2013 before we see anything real happen.

If encryption is used, then we're all SOL...Sorry Outta Luck !

Phoenix is a different system completely. They do have some unique issues too, but they are not using the TDMA P-25. You will encounter lots of encryption on their system, but still quite a bit in the clear.

sfreiman

Premium Subscriber
Crap. So far I have been perfectly happy with my non-digital scanners here in Tucson. I hope they don't go the way Marana did, where you can't monitor at all.

sfreiman

Premium Subscriber

I have a PSR-700 as my portable and it's a great little scanner. You'll really like your PSR-800.

Status
Not open for further replies.