Pinewood Fire District

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I got some CloseCall hits while near Flagstaff today from what turned out to be Pinewood Fire District. The first was on 154.190, PL 192.8. According to the license the input was probably 159.195, listening to that eventually verified that. sounded like dispatch operations.

Later I heard the same guys on 154.235 and found that input on 159.075. This sounded more like ops traffic. These were submitted.

I also heard a medical chopper on 152.285, PL 156.7; the DB shows that as Sacred Mountain EMS. Soon thereafter I saw the bird overhead.

DanRollman

Database Admin
I got some CloseCall hits while near Flagstaff today from what turned out to be Pinewood Fire District. The first was on 154.190, PL 192.8. According to the license the input was probably 159.195, listening to that eventually verified that. sounded like dispatch operations.

Later I heard the same guys on 154.235 and found that input on 159.075. This sounded more like ops traffic. These were submitted.

I also heard a medical chopper on 152.285, PL 156.7; the DB shows that as Sacred Mountain EMS. Soon thereafter I saw the bird overhead.

Isn't Pinewood Fire mostly in Yavapai County and dispatched by the Sedona Fire consortium? 154.235 is the North Canyon (Pinewood) TAC. I wonder if 154.190 is a repeater in Pinewood that multicasts 154.010 (the main Dispatch channel for the Sedona dispatch consortium agencies).

152.285 is Guardian Air, which is part of Northern Arizona Healthcare (Flagstaff Medical Center, Verde Valley Medical Center, etc.). Their vendor is Air Methods.

N9JIG

Sheriff
The repeater is apparently at Mt. Elden, just north of Flagstaff and the HQ and service area is in Munds Park, just south of Flag in Coconino County. I don't know who handles the dispatch for them as I only get there once a month or so.

I was getting CloseCall hits on both channels in downtown Flagstaff.

DanRollman

Database Admin
The repeater is apparently at Mt. Elden, just north of Flagstaff and the HQ and service area is in Munds Park, just south of Flag in Coconino County. I don't know who handles the dispatch for them as I only get there once a month or so.

I was getting CloseCall hits on both channels in downtown Flagstaff.

Wow, that's interesting. Mt. Elden is more than 30 miles north of Munds Park, where Pinewood Fire District is. Obviously distance isn't everything, and apparently that works for them. As the crow flies, Munds Park is much closer to Sedona than Flagstaff, but of course the canyon presents a challenge that makes the road distance very different.

Paysonscanner

The 9100 feet ASL elevation of Mt. Elden makes that a great site for just about everywhere!

When you talk about repeaters in Northern Arizona and also much of New Mexico, realize that these regions are often called "islands in the sky." That also applies to Southeast Arizona as well. There is a lot of flat country with some mountains, or mountain ranges sticking up here or there. The coverage of Navajo Mountain, at the Arizona/Utah border is unbelievable. Elden doesn't have great coverage to the northwest, but to the south it's great. When our family lived in Flagstaff when I was much younger, the Coconino had only one remote base on Elden. They talked with Promontory Peak, a lookout on the Apache-Sitgreaves with no problem. Daddy told me of sitting in dispatch listening to the, what is now called Air Guard, on the remote base installed on Elden. He said it was quite interesting. The Coconino also had one repeater, located at East Pocket lookout, so they could communicate with the Sedona Ranger District people. Since it was the only one, being able to select it was only done by switching to a repeater pair channel. Long after we moved there was a fire on the slope of Mt. Elden, called the Radio Fire in 1977. The Coconino did not link the remote base by using 400 megs, they used phone lines. The fire ran up the slope and burned the lines when the fire first blew up. The Coconino couldn't contact people over the entire forest, including bringing up East Pocket. Daddy heard all the stories then.

Status
Not open for further replies.