Piracy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just my area, or is piracy rampant on this band? I hear businesses buying these things and using them in their warehouses, parking lot people using them, etc.

It's getting as bad as GMRS.

SAR923

I think it's much worse in inland areas. The further you are away from water, the less likely that anyone will complain. It's common for hunters here in Alabama to use marine band portables because of the greater power and range than FRS/GMRS radios and they don't cost much more. If you try it around someplace like Mobile, though, you'll get a lot of grief from other boaters and a stern warning from the Coast Guard.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
A few of the Marine channels were allowed for on-land (business/public safety) before they were added to the Marine allocation. Operators on those frequencies were allowed to continue operation under "grandfather" provisions. I looked this up a couple of years ago when I was trying to identify some apparent public safety operations on Marine channels (turnpike authority IIRC).

That said, there is also a lot of unauthorized use. Getting caught nets you a hefty fine, and the FCC does make periodic checks...especially during hunting season. By the time you receive a citation, the FCC will have DF'd your comms, videotaped (or at the very least witnessed) you talking on the radio, walked up and talked to you about your radios, then written up a nicely detailed report.

http://search2.fcc.gov/search/index.htm?ref=f&job=search and search on "marine NAL hunting"

Last edited:

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
cheap, easy to get high powered radios at Wal-Mart
a lot of hunters use them, there should be a warning on the back or something that says that they are illegal for hunting use. other than that, a regular guy strolling through the HUNTING sections and see high powered would buy it, thats actually where they are in the store near me, right next to the GPS and knives in the hunting case

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Reminds me of when samsclub sold the "dot" VHF radios. Over time, enough people abused them so the FCC gave up and we have MURS.

When will they give up on the VHF marine band? :roll:

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
Radio Pirates

Funny this should be blogged today. Our local Augusta, GA CBS affiliate ran this today about some local brothers broadcasting on FM 99.9. They are thumbing their noses at the FCC and local law enforcement (for now). link: http://news12archives.com/watch?v=3158
:roll:
Barry

Flatshovel

Well in my area there are plenty of farmers using the channels. Pretty sad when I hear more farmers on the marine channels than fisherman. Would be nice to see them use MURS, GMRS or FRS or commercial services for their communications needs.

Joey

Flatshovel

Yep I know the feeling, there are guys where I live as well that use these radios instead of cb or murs to hunt with. However there is one group of guys that do use MURS to hunt with, nice to see them use a proper band. IF this was me I would be nailed to the wall and my equipment taken way.

rescuecomm

Same around here in upper SC. I know of at least one hunting group that uses the VHF marine portable radios for comms. My group uses MURS radios and has found them to be satisfactory for short-range comms. I have tried to interest two of the guys in getting a Technician class ham license, but it has not taken hold yet.

RS

N8IAA

the reason they use the marine radios is because they are a lot clearer

It is clearer because one: 5watts; two: no interference from the rightful users. Unless you get a land license to use it for it's intended purpose, it is illegal. That being said, look how many people use GMRS/FRS radios on the GMRS frequencies and don't think anything of it. There aren't enough consequences that will keep those who use radios not for intended or licensed usage to not continue.
JMHO,
Larry

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"I have tried to interest two of the guys in getting a Technician class ham license, but it has not taken hold yet."

I certainly hope it doesn't and the Amateur community in general would appreciate you not encourage those who deliberately violate the law to do the same on the Amateur bands. THINK! We have more than enough jug heads already and don't need any more thank you.

Oh don't be so disappointed Larry, if radio piracy isn't enough we can always send a few cut throats your way to sink your ship, steal your gold and do nasty things to your wife...... or you could visit Atlanta.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
And if this wasn't bad enough, fishermen (particularly Japanese, Korean and some Latin Americans) have unlocked HF ham rigs and use them just long enough before the salt air and water starts their dirty work. They'll show up in the out of the way places on HF - rarely actually inside the ham or swbc bands.

There have been reports of this in the Utility DXers Forum (and previously the WUN) from time to time. It's a catch as catch can thing - very sporadic and difficult to find

73 Mike

N8IAA

"I have tried to interest two of the guys in getting a Technician class ham license, but it has not taken hold yet."

I certainly hope it doesn't and the Amateur community in general would appreciate you not encourage those who deliberately violate the law to do the same on the Amateur bands. THINK! We have more than enough jug heads already and don't need any more thank you.

Oh don't be so disappointed Larry, if radio piracy isn't enough we can always send a few cut throats your way to sink your ship, steal your gold and do nasty things to your wife...... or you could visit Atlanta.
Amen on keeping rule breakers out of ham radio!
I'm not disappointed;))
Plus, I live to close to Atlanta8>P (don't be fooled by the callsign)
Why do you think I own multiple scanners?
My wife knows how to shoot a 12 gauge. Don't mess with her:))
Larry

jaymatt1978

If you're a ham and hear them on HF bands reserved just for hams, ou can tell them to get off or jam them. Look if the FCC had to- choose between hams using the ham band and some drunk fishermen. Guess who wins?

And if this wasn't bad enough, fishermen (particularly Japanese, Korean and some Latin Americans) have unlocked HF ham rigs and use them just long enough before the salt air and water starts their dirty work. They'll show up in the out of the way places on HF - rarely actually inside the ham or swbc bands.

There have been reports of this in the Utility DXers Forum (and previously the WUN) from time to time. It's a catch as catch can thing - very sporadic and difficult to find

73 Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.