Pirates on Satcom heard in UK...

fires999

Morning forum,
I know that pirates using the Satcom part if the band 250mhz upwards is now very common and here in the UK seems to be getting more populated.
Just one thing, and probably my failure, but most reports seem to be 250 - 265mhz.
I'm currently listening to Eastern European " pirates" with echo Mike's and playing music on 269.850mhz fm...I didnt realise they used frequencies that high up past 265mhz ?
As mentioned, probably me !!! Now changing my upper search limit to reflect !!!
Thanks
Kev (US Airforce Fire Department in England)

RichardKramer

Premium Subscriber
Morning forum,
I know that pirates using the Satcom part if the band 250mhz upwards is now very common and here in the UK seems to be getting more populated.
Just one thing, and probably my failure, but most reports seem to be 250 - 265mhz.
I'm currently listening to Eastern European " pirates" with echo Mike's and playing music on 269.850mhz fm...I didnt realise they used frequencies that high up past 265mhz ?
As mentioned, probably me !!! Now changing my upper search limit to reflect !!!
Thanks
Kev (US Airforce Fire Department in England)
Kev; first of all thanks for your service. I've heard the Pirates stateside here as high as 269.975 fm and several freqs between 265 - 270. Good catch!

fires999

Rich,
Firstly thankyou for your kind comment. I joined UK Fire Service and after 20 years came across an opening for Ops Firefighters working alongside USAF crews here in the UK - luckily there are 4 Bases within 60 mins drive so went to RAF/USAF Alconbury & Molesworth. No longer with airfields but heavy on Comms.
2 Years later transferred to RAF/USAF Mildenhall ( KC135 tanker, MC-130 & CV22 Osprey for Spec ops) and Sister Base at Lakenheath ( F15s and F35s) been there 12 years plus.
Anyway, alot of propoganda? type ranting and shouting unfortunately unsure if pirates are for or against Russia..
Here them nearly 24/7 in the UK with same signal strength , mostly voice but some ' car alarm ' repetitive possible channel marker and sometimes strangely audio clips from the old Windows operating system!!!!
Thanks again for reading my post and big thanks for taking the time & effort to reply..means alot.
Kev

RichardKramer

Premium Subscriber
Rich,
Firstly thankyou for your kind comment. I joined UK Fire Service and after 20 years came across an opening for Ops Firefighters working alongside USAF crews here in the UK - luckily there are 4 Bases within 60 mins drive so went to RAF/USAF Alconbury & Molesworth. No longer with airfields but heavy on Comms.
2 Years later transferred to RAF/USAF Mildenhall ( KC135 tanker, MC-130 & CV22 Osprey for Spec ops) and Sister Base at Lakenheath ( F15s and F35s) been there 12 years plus.
Anyway, alot of propoganda? type ranting and shouting unfortunately unsure if pirates are for or against Russia..
Here them nearly 24/7 in the UK with same signal strength , mostly voice but some ' car alarm ' repetitive possible channel marker and sometimes strangely audio clips from the old Windows operating system!!!!
Thanks again for reading my post and big thanks for taking the time & effort to reply..means alot.
Kev
You're quite welcome Kev; quite an accomlishment you can be proud of.
The "car alarm" has been heard over here for months - not sure who is the culprit behind it. Several months ago I played back a recording of the Portugese pirates for my son in law who is from the Dominican Republic. He said it was two Brazilian officers talking about changing a car engine and where to get parts for the vehicle. You just never know what you'll hear from them!

Back in '92 when hurricane Andrew hit Florida, there were days of clear US military comms in the 262MHz range which made for some really interesting comms.
Take care, be safe & thanks again for your service.

Rich

fires999

Morning forum,
Just gone 03 40hrs on Sunday 25th August and a quick search through 250mhz FM for the pirates of either Brazil or Eastern Europe.
I'm used to tones/alarms for channel marking but just found male Eastern Europe repeating same phrase of 5 - 6 words on 258.500 mhz FM ?
I'm currently about 30 miles East of London and signal is strong, no fluctuation but would love someone to translate ?
Currently on duty at Fire Dept of USAF Europe Base, so limited resources !!!
Thanks
Kevin

Ubbe

258.500 are new to me. I will have a listen. I have logged Brazilians up to 265.350 where they sometimes use digital NXDN modulation.

I don't have any antenna tuned to the 250MHz band, using dual band 2m/70cm and 400MHz yagi picks them up fairly good with some background noise. If using a discone or some other antenna that actually are made to receive 250MHz would probably result in a noise free signal. It shouldn't be any problem monitoring them using most types of external antennas.

It seems like the signal are repeated over several sat positions so that both south americans and russians can be heard from the same satellite.

/Ubbe

FallingBuzzer

Morning forum,
Just gone 03 40hrs on Sunday 25th August and a quick search through 250mhz FM for the pirates of either Brazil or Eastern Europe.
I'm used to tones/alarms for channel marking but just found male Eastern Europe repeating same phrase of 5 - 6 words on 258.500 mhz FM ?
I'm currently about 30 miles East of London and signal is strong, no fluctuation but would love someone to translate ?
Currently on duty at Fire Dept of USAF Europe Base, so limited resources !!!
Thanks
Kevin
I've heard that signal on 258.500mhz as well. As a Russian speaker, what he's saying is definitely not radio friendly language 😂

fires999

Hi forum,
Firstly thankyou all so much for reading my post and big thankyou to those who replied.
I used to hear alot more South American stations here in the UK but seems mostly Eastern European now.
Hope this isn't a stupid question, but I know weather conditions can affect land based radio signals ...are Sat signals in 250mhz + also affected ?
Thanks in advance and to all my USAF colleagues, friends, families and those across the pond,
Happy Labor Weekend...
...here on Base in the UK , us Brits try to ensure that we change our roster so the Fire Dept is covered by UK crews allowing our US colleagues to enjoy 4 day weekend with family whilst on deployment here in the UK.
Take care
Be safe
Kevin ( US Airforce Mildenhall, Fire Dept,Suffolk, England..UK Firefighter attached to USAF)

fires999

Morning,
I have a military Trivec Avant antenna that folds down into a small pouch, specially designed for 250mhz +.
YouTube is invaluable if you want to make your own for not alot of money.
Hope that helps?
Kev