pirates

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc9cra

I've never monitored satellites before. I've never had a scanner that picked up the band with most of the military satellites in it. I haven't gotten around to reading the entire wiki about it, so I can't say that other satellites are unreceivable. In fact, the vhf ones are definitly in range, but I would probably need a parabolic (dish) antenna, right? I read somewhere that some of the amateur satellites can be picked up with a whip like on a handheld, but others are probably harder to pick up.

Either way, getting to the point. ON this forum, I read all the time about pirates on the satellites. Are there really that many illegal operators on the band? Are they radio geeks like us with less regard for the rules, or what kind of folks are they? I know this an international thing, so I'm sure it involves drama from another country like resistance fighters/gurillas, etc, but it would be interesting to know what that's all about.

W4UVV

Not complicated at all

Although not installed for this purpose but for digital trs reception, I use one of my Radio Shack vhf/uhf/fm pre-amped tower mounted Scantennas and one of my R7000 communications receivers for milsat reception. Although not an optimal it works well because the additional received signal strength compensates for incorrect signal polarization and lack of target satellite bore sighting. It's a tradeoff but I hear an average of 5-7 Brazilian and/or Caribbean NBFM Satcom conversions daily. On the weekends the activity usually increases. Signal reception levels vary. 255.5500 mhz. provides the strongest signal here. A quick tune of the past few minutes shows voice comms on 252.0600, 253.5000, 255.5500, 257.1600, 261.4000, 261.7000 mhz. on the 15 degree west longitude milsat at my central Virginia location.. These signals are Q5 +/- S7-S9. But there is a white noise baseline of about S6. As with any type of desired reception you must have a reasonably efficient components configuration.

US milsats are the ultimate CB for Central and South American "pirates". They don't have to be concerned with using "FCC Type Accepted" equipment. Obviously the equipment does not seem to be difficult to acquire in these countries.

FYI...for frequencies above 1,000 mhz. parabolic reflectors (antennas) are the most efficient type. However you do not need this type of antenna for milsat reception. If using the pre-amped Scantenna it does not have to be tower mounted but should be mounted as high as possible from the ground. If you need information regarding acquiring a R7000 communications receiver PM me.

John
W4UVV

prcguy

I guess what he is saying is the US military UHF satellites are a form of amateur radio for the Brazilians because 90% of the pirates on these satellites are in Brazil.

Então, user46, você usa os satélites militares a si mesmo?
prcguy

They are used for amateur radio equipment and antennas Meit at home.

Last edited:

user46

I'm using google translator.
I'm just listening to radio, I do not use satcom.
Just wanted to say that the pirates made ​​to use radio band of 2 meters, with extagio changes in output,
do not know how it's done?

brandon

Database Admin
I have logged Brazilian truckers often hang out on 252.150. It seems like each freq has their own group of players. 260.625 you'll hear certain folks.... 255.550 you'll hear another group. You'll also get women and children from time to time.

Spanish speakers often come up on 263.825. I had somebody translate last year and told me it appeared to be coming from a machine company from Argentina discussing various screw and bolt sizes.

W4UVV

I have logged Brazilian truckers often hang out on 252.150. It seems like each freq has their own group of players. 260.625 you'll hear certain folks.... 255.550 you'll hear another group. You'll also get women and children from time to time.

Spanish speakers often come up on 263.825. I had somebody translate last year and told me it appeared to be coming from a machine company from Argentina discussing various screw and bolt sizes.
How well I know. Over the years I have logged at least 10 frequencies from approximately 251-266 mhz. 250.5500 mhz. has the strongest signal at my location. Too bad the military hasn't replaced these satcoms with a new generation incorporating a digitally encrypted controlled user access capability. That hopefully would stop these satcom CBer's annoying analog transmissions.

Ozi

Just wanted to say that the pirates made ​​to use radio band of 2 meters, with extagio changes in output,
do not know how it's done?

some use modded 220 gear, some use frq. doublers with 2m .. google is your friend and so will be a 400lb hairy fat guy in a prison cell

Status
Not open for further replies.