PiStar Command Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
I know this isn't the PiStar forum, but that sign up has been waiting approval for over a week, and the facebook group hasn't been helpful. So I've had a MMDVM PiStar hotspot with a single band hat for a while for DMR. Just got into D-Star a bit, and maybe I'm just being cheap, but I'm running both on the PiStar. Usually not a problem, but I would like to be able to turn off one of the two services via the HT I'm using.

I've read up on the PiStar Remote, and have it enabled. It works on both D-Star and DMR to reboot and getip/8ball, so I know the service is working. I also read about adding some scheduled code to the cron as such:
PiStar Forum said:
Code:
sudo pistar-mmdvmhost-module <MODE> Disable
Where <MODE> equals "D-Star, DMR, YSF, P25 or NXDN".

Then use the same command and change 'Disable' to 'Enable' when the net is over.
So you'll need two entries for every mode you are wanting to disable while the net is going on in another mode. In other words if you run 3 modes, you'll need (3 -1) * 2 entries.

Also capitalization matters so copy exactly what is written or it won't work.

So I setup the remote commands as follows:
pi-star remote.jpg

I have tried both underscore and spaces, neither work. Is there a way to associate a remote command with a script or administrative code? Sometimes I just need to shutoff a service to listen to a specific conversation while doing house/yard work, and logging into the hotspot on my phone is a pain when I'm trying to get stuff done.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
I have not seen those commands before, but based on what is already in place that works I would do the following.
Left of the equal I would use lower case and right I would use upper case. At the radio I would pad the DMROFF and DMRON with spaces to 8 characters. <--correction, for dstar commands pad to 8 characters.

Another spin... looking at the forum comment.

DMR=DMROFF
DMR=DMRON

D-Star=9999995
D-Star=9999994

Wait a minute.... I think you have the DMR and D-Star swapped after I just typed the above. DMR should be # and D-Star 'words' I think. Where did the numbers come from for DMR? (999999x)

Good Luck,
Mike

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
The intent is to shut DMR off with DStar (because I would have the DStar radio on and be listening or talking on DStar) and shut off DStar with DMR.

That being said, the dashboard recognizes the commands, but it doesn't do anything.

Also, the 999999X TG numbers are phony, but that's how the PiStar remote works (as private calls).

The reboot works for both services as set above.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
I was typing as you posted and get the crossover issue. I solved the busy issue with buying additional Zumspots setup for a specific mode. Not cost effective but works. I am aware when I had one Zumspot if busy with a active QSO it was hard to brake in. Maybe the commands are working but needs to be heard when hotspot is 'idle'.

P.S. Expanding the forum comment it seems something is missing. It's not clear how disable and enable are to be used.
P.S.S. More I look at it the more confused I get. :-( Looking at the sudo command I'm thinking not working for a zumspot setup but ok for yours. ?????

Last edited:

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Well I played around with the commands without luck. When I stopped I used the DStar shutdown command to make sure it was still working. QSO was active and it took a couple of xmits for the zumspot to hear the shutdown. I'll take a closest look at the PiStar forum for information as the commands would be a good additions.
Thanks for posting, not that I was much help. :)
Mike

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
@KE5MC

Thanks for your attempts. I'd love to figure this out, because something tells me it should work, but I'm missing something.

I think the workaround is grab another HS and split services, but why have the prices gone through the roof? If I do that, how far apart would I need to put the HS frequencies? 5MHz?

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Checking the label on my hs...
434.3 ysf
433.1 dstar
445.3 dmr
Not sure why I picked the dmr that far out. HS front ends are not that good, but don't need the spread like you see for repeaters.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Pi-Star remote is meant to give you control of the basic on/off/reset of the hotspot via a radio so you don't have to be accessing the interface while mobile.

Modes are command line only (sudo xxxxxx). Since Remote most likely isn't "coded" for those kinds of commands, it won't work without some major work on the code..

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
Pi-Star remote is meant to give you control of the basic on/off/reset of the hotspot via a radio so you don't have to be accessing the interface while mobile.

Modes are command line only (sudo xxxxxx). Since Remote most likely isn't "coded" for those kinds of commands, it won't work without some major work on the code..

Yea, after digging some more, It looks like I could make it work if I modified the /usr/bin/python binary, but It might be eliminated when it updates one night. I also don't feel comfortable doing that right now, manually via web interface it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.