Pistol LCRMADX Case - November 2023

pb_lonny

I have recently had a need to find a suitable way to carry my low cost radio monitoring and DXing (LCRMADX) radios while still providing them with a good level of protection. As I am also taking my "daily carry" kit with me more, I was struggling to keep all of this together and have it easy to grab for when I want to undertake a portable low cost radio monitoring and DXing (LCRMADX) session.
Recently, I was talking to a work colleague about this and he asked if I had considered a pistol case, they are large enough in width and height but also have a low enough depth profile to still be able to fit this in my backpack. I spent some time on eBay looking at some options and decided on this case for $29.00.

I have removed the foam from the bottom section and added a divider, as seen in the photo below. I can fit three radio, earphones, batteries, programming cable and my notepad. The user guides sit behind the foam in the lid.

Overall, I am very pleased with how well this case has come out, I am able to carry and store everything I need for portable sessions. It is also small enough to fit in my backpack. For under $30, it provides a great level of protection.

While this case was designed for low cost radio monitoring and DXing (LCRMADX), the same ideas could be used for amateur radio, radio scanning or any other radio storage need.

Photos: Pistol LCRMADX Case - November 2023

pb_lonny

An update on this:
Daily Carry Radio Case - January 2024

As my radio collection has increased, I have needed to find a suitable way to carry my radios while still providing them with a good level of protection. As I am also taking my "daily carry" kit with me more, I was struggling to keep all of this together and to easily access each radio as needed.

I have recently upgraded my radio kit, selling all my radio gear (both VHF/UHF and also my mediumwave DXing kit) and replacing this with a Quansheng UV-K6 and a small AM/FM radio.

I found this pistol carry case online for $29, it is great value. I spent some time trying a few different layouts and have settled on this one, it has enough room for my radio, accessories and aerials.

Overall, I am very pleased with how well this case has come out, I am able to carry and store my radio, chargers, spare batteries and ear phones, everything I need for portable radio scanning sessions. It is also small enough to fit in my backpack. For $30 it provides a great level of protection.

While this case was designed for my radio scanning / logging needs, the same ideas could be used for amateur radio, radio scanning or any other radio storage need.

Photos: Daily Carry Radio Case - January 2024