Pittsburgh Ops and Admin have gone DIGITAL Encrypted

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobraultra

Feed Provider
As of this morning it seems Both City Ops and City Admin have both been moved to Digital. Watching with SDRTrunk they are P25-1 Encrypted. UGH There has been no analog audio all morning.

fire42man

It caught me off guard hearing digital on ops this morning. I went looking through the licenses for any updates but nothing changed. Does anyone know if Ops is dual mode like the countywide IC? Hazmat used it for interop a couple times last week, and I wouldn't expect fire and EMS to have encryption capability.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
All pittsburgh radios have ADP encryption. Not heavy level but enough to keep scanners out. They phased out the older kenwood stuff they had years ago and all other analog radios to Motorola APX4500/6000 units.

Eventually I understand the whole city will move P25 conventional ops on all channels. I believe the main dispatch channels will remain clear but digital mode(P25).

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Also just because the license has not been updated does not stop them from making the change. Things routinely get overlooked.

IStebleton

Premium Subscriber
As of this morning it seems Both City Ops and City Admin have both been moved to Digital. Watching with SDRTrunk they are P25-1 Encrypted. UGH There has been no analog audio all morning.
Is it strapped encryption, or is some stuff in the clear and other stuff Enc?

cobraultra

Feed Provider
Is it strapped encryption, or is some stuff in the clear and other stuff Enc?
Right now Both Ops and Admin are the only two that have moved from what I can tell. They are both Encrypted. Hasn't been any traffic on the channels since late evening yesterday... All day yesterday I guess they were testing and it was all encrypted.

harvick21

Premium Subscriber
they now have 5 encrypted channels....not good...I understand for SWAT situations but considering the history of Pgh PD I see many problems coming...hope the city will have the extra money......

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
they now have 5 encrypted channels....not good...I understand for SWAT situations but considering the history of Pgh PD I see many problems coming...hope the city will have the extra money......
As someone stated above all Pittsburgh radios have ADP encryption already in their flashcodes so their shouldn't be any extra costs associated with the switch; at least that's my understanding of it.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Does any one know if any other Allegheny County channels are moving to p25?

It's doubtful as there are a extremely large number of agencies and municipalities that would have to purchase new P25 equipment. Hence other reason for not going trunked.

Lots of suburban depts are using kenwood, vertex, etc. Main requirements are channel capacity and capability for MDC-1200.

harvick21

Premium Subscriber
As someone stated above all Pittsburgh radios have ADP encryption already in their flashcodes so their shouldn't be any extra costs associated with the switch; at least that's my understanding of it.
Costs comment was not about radios but about the number of lawsuits the city will be paying for. Hiding makes it easier for even more shoddy work.

Medic10mda

Ø Pittsburgh, PA
Premium Subscriber
It's doubtful as there are a extremely large number of agencies and municipalities that would have to purchase new P25 equipment. Hence other reason for not going trunked.

Lots of suburban depts are using kenwood, vertex, etc. Main requirements are channel capacity and capability for MDC-1200.

Any chance they jumped up to AES given all of the new programming under way last week and this week?

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
Costs comment was not about radios but about the number of lawsuits the city will be paying for. Hiding makes it easier for even more shoddy work.
I love the scanning hobby as much as the next guy but I doubt any of those lawsuits would go anywhere seeing that the city government has no legal obligation to allow the public to listen to public safety comms or anything really; they could encrypt the garbage collection if they wanted.

Medic10mda

Ø Pittsburgh, PA
Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if City Animal Control moved to a different channel or are remaining on secure admin channel? They used to be in the clear on Admin.. prior to it going secure this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.