Pittsburgh Ops and Admin have gone DIGITAL Encrypted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Medic10mda

Ø Pittsburgh, PA
Premium Subscriber
All of the local colleges have agreements for interoperability… Pitt, Cmu, chatham (which is on nxdn). Duquesne, etc. but who knows. Does port authority use their p25 channels?

PGHSCANNERWACKER1

Premium Subscriber
All of the local colleges have agreements for interoperability… Pitt, Cmu, chatham (which is on nxdn). Duquesne, etc. but who knows. Does port authority use their p25 channels?
I never heard Port authority use their P 25 but I don’t really listen to them . I thought Duquesne university was DMR?

daine1619

Premium Subscriber
So, let me just get this straight, The police Dispatch channels, Zone 1/2 etc will eventually be going P25 Conventional on the existing UHF channels and probably not going "E"? But the other more admin/special op channels will be going E? Also, last time I was in town I could've sworn I saw an officer carrying an APXNext... anyone have any info on that...
The City of Pittsburgh Police, Fire, and EMS use APX6000XE 1.5 in UHF and a mix of APX4500 and APX6500 in vehicles. All city radios are identically programmed and have access to all of the city’s P25 channels.

The Allegheny County Police and Sheriff’s Office have access to ICS, Ops, and Admin however I’m not sure any other agencies have the ability to communicate using the “E” channels

I believe that the City will leave dispatch Clear for interoperability. They will more often have external police agencies assistance on there dispatch and not ICS, Admin, Ops, Etc.

Jl942264

Premium Subscriber
The City of Pittsburgh Police, Fire, and EMS use APX6000XE 1.5 in UHF and a mix of APX4500 and APX6500 in vehicles. All city radios are identically programmed and have access to all of the city’s P25 channels.

The Allegheny County Police and Sheriff’s Office have access to ICS, Ops, and Admin however I’m not sure any other agencies have the ability to communicate using the “E” channels

I believe that the City will leave dispatch Clear for interoperability. They will more often have external police agencies assistance on there dispatch and not ICS, Admin, Ops, Etc.
Understood, but you think that they'll eventually go P25 conventional at least?

Vweasel

What gonna happen during special events like the pittsburgh marathon? The city of pittsburgh use Collages University, and UPMC Police for assistance during special events. Most if not all of there departments do not have compatible radios. They all have an agreement to use city radio systems. Its going to cause a lot of headaches.

UPMC Police use DMR
Pitt Police use Analog
CMU Police use Analog
Duquesine Univ Police use NXDX
Port Authority Police use Analog

PGHSCANNERWACKER1

Premium Subscriber

but why go t
What gonna happen during special events like the Pittsburgh marathon? The city of Pittsburgh use Collages University, and UPMC Police for assistance during special events. Most if not all of there departments do not have compatible radios. They all have an agreement to use city radio systems. Its going to cause a lot of headaches.

UPMC Police use DMR
Pitt Police use Analog
CMU Police use Analog
Duquesne Univ Police use NXDX
last time i worked the Pittsburgh marathon they gave out people radios mostly ems, police got the apx. medical personal got the dmr radios they use special event channels 1 and 2 and 3. port authority have KENWOOD NX 5300 AND THEY DO HAVE THE ENCRPTED channels i would assume pitt police and cmu has those channels to. but you never know

daine1619

Premium Subscriber
What gonna happen during special events like the pittsburgh marathon? The city of pittsburgh use Collages University, and UPMC Police for assistance during special events. Most if not all of there departments do not have compatible radios. They all have an agreement to use city radio systems. Its going to cause a lot of headaches.

UPMC Police use DMR
Pitt Police use Analog
CMU Police use Analog
Duquesine Univ Police use NXDX
The city will give out portables to external units that don’t have radios with City channels for events. Im not to sure what they have has there detail radios right now to know if they are P25 or not.

If I remember correctly I knew a medic from an external agency at an event at hienz field was given both an APX for the city and a DMR for the Heinz field system
but why go t

last time i worked the Pittsburgh marathon they gave out people radios mostly ems, police got the apx. medical personal got the dmr radios they use special event channels 1 and 2 and 3. port authority have KENWOOD NX 5300 AND THEY DO HAVE THE ENCRPTED channels i would assume pitt police and cmu has those channels to. but you never know
To answer why. There is a few reasons
Programming over P25 (POP25), Voice clairity to the edge of coverage, GPS and many more features

Vweasel

I love the scanning hobby as much as the next guy but I doubt any of those lawsuits would go anywhere seeing that the city government has no legal obligation to allow the public to listen to public safety comms or anything really; they could encrypt the garbage collection if they wanted.

Let you local City of Pittsburgh Council members know how you feel about the changes. It can't hurt!

IStebleton

Premium Subscriber
Anyone know what freq Allegheny County Special Events 1 channel is? I heard it mentioned on a county radio the other day and couldn't find anything

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
Anyone know what freq Allegheny County Special Events 1 channel is? I heard it mentioned on a county radio the other day and couldn't find anything
Could it possibly be another name for the admin channel? I'm just throwing ideas out there...

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
I believe it's a 494 mhz channel repeater that we haven't figured out.

PGHSCANNERWACKER1

Premium Subscriber
It’s possible its the DMR channes /dpw and Heinz Field use there 3 channels that are for special events I know they use them for Pittsburgh Marathon and other events

Binger511

Feed Provider
Don't know if its been mentioned before or if I am the first to notice. As of today at around 4:30 I have heard unencrypted P25 conventional radio traffic on Pittsburgh Fire Ops-2. (453.850) Unknown NAC. Seems to be about relaying patient info to dispatchers or something of that nature.

Edit: Also heard something possibly about a bus boarding and departing(?). As well as license plates being ran on the channel. I have no guesses as to who or what is going on, on the channel.

Last edited:

fire42man

Don't know if its been mentioned before or if I am the first to notice. As of today at around 4:30 I have heard unencrypted P25 conventional radio traffic on Pittsburgh Fire Ops-2. (453.850) Unknown NAC. Seems to be about relaying patient info to dispatchers or something of that nature.

Edit: Also heard something possibly about a bus boarding and departing(?). As well as license plates being ran on the channel. I have no guesses as to who or what is going on, on the channel.
I've been monitoring all day, haven't heard any P25 noises on the fire channels. I did briefly hear interference of a CW ID on 453.7 though

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin

Sounds like you might have caught a WV SIRN channel coming through.

Status
Not open for further replies.