PixelSatRadio and Clifton Labs

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Interesting update from Clifton Labs:

The review is here: http://www.cliftonlaboratories.com/Documents/Loop vs Loop Final-Final.pdf

For the last year and a half, I've worked with Pixel Technologies in developing and supplying the low noise high performance amplifier used in its Pro-1B active loop antenna.

Until recently, my agreement kept my role with Pixel as a confidential matter, but recent Pixel promotional material discloses that a Clifton Laboratories amplifier is inside the Pro-1B. The amplifier, however, remains a special product only sold to Pixel and if you are interested in an amplifier module, I suggest you contact Pixel for price and availability.

Last fall, I completed an extensive data collection, with more than 500,000 individual signal strength measurements, comparing the performance of the Pro-1B with its most widely available competitor, Wellbrook's ALA 1530L antenna. I've completed analysis of the data and written a comparative review of these two loops. The review extends well beyond the signal-to-noise comparison of the two antennas, however, and provides my view of many other aspects of the two antennas.

I recognize that as the developer of the loop amplifier, I'm not a disinterested reviewer. I've done my best, however, to make honest measurements and to provide extensive details on my methodology. I've tried to distinguish places where an opinion is called for and those where the collected data is analyzed and identified the former as "my opinion" or "my view" and to supply reasons supporting my conclusions.

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Interesting, hard to tell from the pic, but there must be some isolation from the lightning ground lug to the antenna?

SCPD

QRT
I don't think he did E-Man. You really shouldn't have to since the loops are relatively low-mounted.

You can see that he mounted the bracket assembly to the wood 2x4 there. He could have grounded it to the pipe mast but I don't think he did.

Also, he wouldn't likely do this since he's comparing multiple antennas.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This is quite interesting; Guy Atkins did a review of both loops and found the Wellbrook to be better - but I guess part of the difference is the differing measuring methods, not just the different geo area. Then again, this was a comparison between the PRO-1A (not the 1B as mentioned above), so perhaps there have been some changes in the amplifier design

Here's the link, from our friends at DXer.ca...

DXer.ca

Damn, that's a long URL. If it doesn't come out, just go to the DXer.ca website and the link is about 2/3 of the way down

best regards..Mike

SCPD

QRT
Mike,

You also have to note that neither review was for the S+ model antenna. Clifton Lab did the review against the 1530L model which is aimed at non-LW/MW users. The 1530S+ has the extra oomphf on the LW/MW bands. I actually have both preamps modules.

I'd be curious to see Clifton Labs re-test with the 1530S+ model. I think he'd find that they're both virtually equal to each other.

Even compared to the L model, I think they're virtually identical antenna systems.

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I was refering to the figure 15 pic., was surprised to see a ground point, as I thought the loops were to be isolated from ground.

SCPD

QRT
I was refering to the figure 15 pic., was surprised to see a ground point, as I thought the loops were to be isolated from ground.

Yeah same. If you go to their web site and read the instructions it'll be a bit more clear.

The amp module (at the base of the loop) is metal on the Pixel. The Wellbrook uses plastic.

As the doc said, I think they're just offerring the ground connection for higher installs (on a tower, etc.) where lighting strikes are more common.

NYG

I don't see too much about Clifton Labs in the forums.

I've had the Z1501F for a bit of time now. I use it with my USRP + an LFRX board from Ettus and just love it.

I always wondered how the performance of this setup would be compared to a Perseus or other SDR on the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.