• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

PL 175.6 on Baofeng

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCEMS703

I have a baofeng GT-5TP. I have a repeater that uses a PL tone 175.6. The chirp softwear does not have this as a option. How do I fix this. Also on the channels that ise PL tones, there is a awful squelch tail on the receive. The DPL does not do this. Is there anyway to fix that as well? Thanks.

nd5y

175.6 is not a standard tone. That's why it's not in the Chirp drop-down list.
You might be able to manually enter the tone via the keypad.

Baofeng radios don't have industry standard PL reverse burst squelch tail elimination.
There is no way to fix the squelch tail problem unless the repeater is yours or you can convince the repeater owner to change the repeater to DPL or give it a 55 Hz STE tone which is compatible with Baofeng and other CCRs.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Are you sure the repeater is using 175.6hz? As others have said, that is not a standard tone and I doubt the repeater is actually using it.

CCEMS703

It is 175.6. I was able to use the radio keypad as suggested. Thank you. I tried to adjust the squelch to help the squelch tail. It did help some, but it inhibited some further systems from opening the squelch tone.

16b

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried setting the radio to 173.8 (the nearest standard CTCSS tone) to see if it works?

nd5y

Actually I thought it accepted the keypad entry, but it didn't after I exited the menu. 😩
You can't change tones or other settings on an existing memory channel.
You can't use Chirp to program non-standard tones.

If you want to store a non-standard tone in a memory channel you have to program it manually from the keypad.
1. Pick the channel number you want.
2. If the channel already exists you must delete it first.

If this is a simplex channel then:
3. Go to VFO mode and enter your receive frequency and non-standard tx tone. If you need the rx tone enter that too.
4. Store that in the memory channel.

If it is a simplex channel then you are done. If it is a repeater channel then:
5. Go to VFO mode and enter your transmit frequency and non-standard tone.
6. Store that in the memory channel.

You can't name the channel from the keypad.
If you try to download the radio with Chirp you will get an error on the channel with the non-standard tone.
Remember that to enter a non-standard tone you have to use the numeric keypad. Enter 1 7 5 6 for 175.6. Don't use the up/down arrows. Those will only scroll through the standard tones.
For better manual keypad programming instructions see UV5R UV82 Manual Programming Examples Everything should be the same as what I posted above. Just remember for non-standard tones you can't use the up/down arrows to change the tone.

Last edited:

CCEMS703

It actually didn't take the keypad entry. I just checked again and once I exit menu it goes back to 177.6

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Actually I thought it accepted the keypad entry, but it didn't after I exited the menu. ��

That's because you didn't save the information to memory. Read Tom's precise instructions and follow them precisely to solve the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.