PL-259 Crimp Connectors for RG-6 Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I want to experiment with using RG-6 cable as TX/RX feedline. In the past, I've used (old fashioned) solder on PL-259 UHF connectors with the appropriate reducer. Since I'm switching over to crimp on connectors for 50 ohm cable, I'd like to do the same for 75 ohm RG-6, but I can't seem to find proper sized UHF crimp on connectors, only the tv-style "F" connectors.

900mhz

I want to experiment with using RG-6 cable as TX/RX feedline. In the past, I've used (old fashioned) solder on PL-259 UHF connectors with the appropriate reducer. Since I'm switching over to crimp on connectors for 50 ohm cable, I'd like to do the same for 75 ohm RG-6, but I can't seem to find proper sized UHF crimp on connectors, only the tv-style "F" connectors.
There are many types of RG-6 cables. Some are quad shielded, some just double shielded. RG-6 Plenum coax is another type. They all have different dimensions. With that said, there are many different types of RG-6 F-connectors manufactured, and their uses are governed by the specifications of the given cable. You need to determine the manufacturer and part number of RG-6 you have and seek to get the specifications for that cable. As far as utilizing PL-259 connectors, it may or not be possible. Maybe a PL-259 used for RG-8X might work, but it will depend on the specifications on the cable itself.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
A quick look didn't find me any RG-6 to UHF crimp connectors, but I did find N:

ladn

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the speedy replies!

There are many types of RG-6 cables. Some are quad shielded, some just double shielded...
I know. :) I wanted to keep the post simple. I was using double shielded RG-6 which worked fine. I'll probably try an RG-8x connector on some double shield cable and see if it works. Worst case is just to keep using solder on PL-259's.

A quick look didn't find me any RG-6 to UHF crimp connectors, but I did find N
Kikda pricey though!

900mhz

RG-6 uses aluminum braid/shield. Crimp on will be the only way, as soldering will not work with aluminum.

prcguy

There is not much to solder on TV/satellite type RG-6, the foil shield is aluminum and the braid is very thin and getting solder to stick is difficult at best.

Thanks for the speedy replies!

I know. :) I wanted to keep the post simple. I was using double shielded RG-6 which worked fine. I'll probably try an RG-8x connector on some double shield cable and see if it works. Worst case is just to keep using solder on PL-259's.

Kikda pricey though!

ladn

Premium Subscriber
I'd agree with PRC, if this is for experimenting, do some decent F snap-n-seal type connectors and use an adapter. Usually I avoid adapters if I can, but for this sort of stuff/price, it's the way to go.
That was going to be my "Plan B", but I wanted to run the crimp PL-259 idea up the flagpole just in case I missed something.

kb9hgi

Feed Provider

Why not just get adapter a F connector to PL259 I see them on ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.