PL/DPL on a BCT15X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronco90

Premium Subscriber
I have a stupid question. My eyes are so tired from looking at all the manuals for the BCT15X for setting up my new scanner, I thought I'd just throw it at you all. I was just wondering if the BCT15X can enter conv freq's with a PL or a DPL. I have 2 cities next to me that have the same freq, but I can only hear 1 of them. On advise from another thread I was told to enter the freq twice, 1 with the PL and the other with the DPL. Is that capable on the BCT15X?

Keith_W7KEW

You can enter the same frequency twice in the BCT15X and set different PL/DPL tones for each channel you program. Also if you set PL/DPL off or on Search you will be able to hear all traffic on a channel.

Bronco90

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Keith, I got instructions on how to do that from the New Jersey forum. I didn't read far enough in Marks Easy Manual yet to see that CTCSS/DCS is the same as PL/DPL.

To anyone else who has the same question as I had here are the instructions on how to set the PL/DPL's on a BCT15X.

Press Menu
Highlight Program System and press E
Highlight the system the frequency is programmed into and press E
Highlight Edit Group and press E
Highlight whatever group the frequency is programmed into and press E
Highlight Edit Channel and press E
Scroll to the channel the frequency is in and press E
Highlight Set CTCSS/DCS and press E (CTCSS is the same as PL and DCS is the same as DPL)
Highlight CTCSS for the PL and select the PL tone using the scroll knob. When you find it press E
Or...Highlight DCS for the DPL tone,select it using the scroll knob and when you find it, press E.
When you're done, press scan to get back to normal scan mode.

BCT15X PL/DPL

garys

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Keith, I got instructions on how to do that from the New Jersey forum. I didn't read far enough in Marks Easy Manual yet to see that CTCSS/DCS is the same as PL/DPL.

Just in case you don't know, PL and DPL are Motorola's trade mark terms for CTCSS and DCS. Most people use the Motorola terms, but technically the generic ones are more correct.

Other companies call them different things, some just use the term "Tone".

Bronco90

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Gary, I was wondering why there were different names. I see now.
Thank you.
Is that what they mean with scanners about "Tone Out" or is that something different. I thought "Tone Out" were the tones you hear when like a Vol fire dept gets toned out. I think that is different. Just wondering.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Gary, I was wondering why there were different names. I see now.
Thank you.
Is that what they mean with scanners about "Tone Out" or is that something different. I thought "Tone Out" were the tones you hear when like a Vol fire dept gets toned out. I think that is different. Just wondering.

You're correct, tone out is something completely different. Usually two different tones, although I think it can be one long tone. I don't have any programmed, so I'm not really conversant with the details.

PL is Motorola's name, Channel Guard was General Electric's, and Quiet Channel was RCA's back when RCA made radios. Other companies might have other names, but I don't recall them off hand.

Bronco90

Premium Subscriber
I went and looked it up at marks scanners and your right it is something like fire dept tone out for their pagers. Yea said something like 1 or 2 tones and can be long. I'm like you not to interested in that, but just wanted to clarify my other question. Thanks a lot Gary you been a great help. Thanks.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I went and looked it up at marks scanners and your right it is something like fire dept tone out for their pagers. Yea said something like 1 or 2 tones and can be long. I'm like you not to interested in that, but just wanted to clarify my other question. Thanks a lot Gary you been a great help. Thanks.

You're welcome. You're going to enjoy that scanner more and more as you get to understand it's features.

Bronco90

Premium Subscriber
I think your right. I enjoy it already. I plan on exploring the other featers little by little, one at a time so I get to understand it more. I am coming from a scanner that only accepted freq's and scanned, thats it. So I'm gonna move slowly through this one so I learn and understand better. Also will lean a lot more with the help of members like you and others.
I can see that this BCT15X has a lot more to offer then I thought when I bought it.

Status
Not open for further replies.