• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

PL Hum

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1GTL

Database Admin
PL hum is not from MDC. The higher the PL tone, the more audible. 67.0 would be fairly quiet. Get up into the 200's and you will hear it.

SCPD

QRT
N1GTL said:
PL hum is not from MDC. The higher the PL tone, the more audible. 67.0 would be fairly quiet. Get up into the 200's and you will hear it.

I don't hear it when I listen to CENCOM's MED-10. Why just UHF? I don't hear it on VHF. I listen to Hanover Twp. (Morris Co.) the PL is 241.8.

aaron315

res148cue said:
I don't hear it when I listen to CENCOM's MED-10. Why just UHF? I don't hear it on VHF. I listen to Hanover Twp. (Morris Co.) the PL is 241.8.

Two things:

1: 241.8 is very audible to begin with. You did not mention the tones used on the other systems referenced.

2: The transmitter(s) probably have the CTCSS (PL) deviation set too high. The deviation should be around 500 to 600 cycles. If the deviation is any higher than 700 and you will hear nearly all of the tone frequencies. Some shops do not give this portion of the alignment process enough attention at times.

If the deviation is too high at that hign of a tone freq it will be very noticeable.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
aaron315 said:
Two things:

1: 241.8 is very audible to begin with. You did not mention the tones used on the other systems referenced.

2: The transmitter(s) probably have the CTCSS (PL) deviation set too high. The deviation should be around 500 to 600 cycles. If the deviation is any higher than 700 and you will hear nearly all of the tone frequencies. Some shops do not give this portion of the alignment process enough attention at times.

If the deviation is too high at that hign of a tone freq it will be very noticeable.

It's 162.2. Are you talking about the DOS. I only know about programming, and just enough to get by.

aaron315

res148cue said:
It's 162.2. Are you talking about the DOS. I only know about programming, and just enough to get by.

Basically what I was trying to say is that the 'volume' of the PL tone on the transmitter using the 241.8 tone may be too high. Additionally, the 241.8 is high enough in pitch that the human ear notices it easily as compared to 162.2. The end result being that the tone on the 241.8 system is very noticable as compared to other systems.

N1GTL

Database Admin
Even is the deviation is set correctly, you are going to hear 241.8.

Astro25

Yep, that's a loud one.

There was a problem mentioned and discussed quite a few times on batlabs about HT1250s/HT750s, and the problems they incur when MDC DOS muting is used and PL or DPL is active on the channel. You may want to run a search over there and see what you can find, if you're using a Waris series radio.

SCPD

QRT
aaron315 said:
Basically what I was trying to say is that the 'volume' of the PL tone on the transmitter using the 241.8 tone may be too high. Additionally, the 241.8 is high enough in pitch that the human ear notices it easily as compared to 162.2. The end result being that the tone on the 241.8 system is very noticable as compared to other systems.

But I don't hear 241.8. THe only problem I have is with 162.2 which is predominate in Union County. Also Wayne EMS uses it, but it's not as bad as Union Co towns.

If I understood you correctly, I should be hearing 241.8 but not 162.2. I have been trying to get through to Motorola to see what the deal is, but they put you on hold indefinietely.

karfield

To get you to where you need to go I will need to know exactly what type of radio you have. This issue occurs on many different models including HT1000 and the HT750 series. What you need to do is chance the baseband offset for PL tones from what it is to a lower value. On Waris radios just load it up in the tuning tool and go to utilities. Should be set to like 57 I think. Been a few days since I checked it last but should be right around there. On Jedi series I'd have to look into it more to give you the correct answer. But if I'm not mistaken after loading the codeplug hit F4 F3 F2 then Control, shift, F7 and it should be on that screen. (again I'm foggy there)

SCPD

QRT
karfield said:
To get you to where you need to go I will need to know exactly what type of radio you have. This issue occurs on many different models including HT1000 and the HT750 series. What you need to do is chance the baseband offset for PL tones from what it is to a lower value. On Waris radios just load it up in the tuning tool and go to utilities. Should be set to like 57 I think. Been a few days since I checked it last but should be right around there. On Jedi series I'd have to look into it more to give you the correct answer. But if I'm not mistaken after loading the codeplug hit F4 F3 F2 then Control, shift, F7 and it should be on that screen. (again I'm foggy there)

HT1250 I have ver. 06.08.05 does that have a tuning tool, I don't remember seeing it when I installed the newer version?

Last edited:

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
All radios should have a PL filterin them that filters out any audio information below 300 Hz, which is specifically intended to remove audible PL tones from the radio's audio output.

On some radios, this filter is turned on or off by an option in the software. You might want
to check and see if you have that option in software and make sure it's turned on.

Elroy

karfield

My humble apologies for the delay. I don't check this forum much. The PL baseband offset is set using the global tuning software that comes with the standard CPS. If the radio hasn't been read by global tuner for a long time that baseband offset will be off for that frequency. There actually is a FSB out on that but it's buried deep inside of my email and to find it will take a while but the above pretty much explains it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.