Place to program a Uniden Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Is there a good place to get a Uniden BCT15X programed near Carrollton, TX ?

Not answering your question, but be advised that Carrollton is on the below system..

Which requires a P25 TDMA capable scanner to monitor (assuming you want to monitor Carrollton). And it appears that some TG's are encrypted.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
To add to Kevin's comment, just about the public safety agencies in the DFW Metro area are using digital systems. The only major exception is Dallas (city as well as county) which for now, are still using analog systems. However, they are in the stages of building a P25 Phase II system of their own.

Para078

Premium Subscriber
To add to Kevin's comment, just about the public safety agencies in the DFW Metro area are using digital systems. The only major exception is Dallas (city as well as county) which for now, are still using analog systems. However, they are in the stages of building a P25 Phase II system of their own.

Any idea when they plan to go live with it?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Any idea when they plan to go live with it?
No real idea. I have no contacts at either the city or county level that might be able to let me know where they are in the process. Original switchover date was supposed to be this fall, but I'd guess you need to add a year or more to that. I haven't seen bid requests for construction of sites or other infrastructure show up in the legal notices. Nor have I seen any applications for new licenses or modifications to existing licenses to add the emission codes for the system.

I have recently been hearing sporadic testing of signal strength on the Dallas P25 site. But I saw quite a bit of that last year, then nothing. Now, a little more activity again.

The city has been fretting about how much revenue they've lost due to the pandemic. That's really cut into retail sales, so sales tax collections are considerably lower than the projected amounts in the city budget. In addition, there's also the issue of damages from last October's tornado that impacted a lot of city facilities & equipment. FEMA has twice denied the city's request for disaster assistance. Reduction in value of the tax appraisals for those homes & businesses with storm damage will also result in lower revenue from property taxes.

riverradio68

Feed Provider
Dallas? NATS (Not any time soon) is what I have heard which makes sense considering the budget shortfall from COVID. I have a BCT15X and all I have on it is Aviation. Great Air Scanner!

scancreek70

I got the BCT15X for fathers day and it looks like my kid should have done more research on scanners. Looks like it is soon to be useless. uniden said they don't want it back and used the Covid-19 contamination excuse. No more uniden products in my house.

riverradio68

Feed Provider
Don't cut him out of the will for good intentions lol. It is still a very good scanner for GMRS, Ham, Aviation and for the time being Dallas PD/FD. You can monitor Collin County just fine with it too. Call HRO, they might have someone with a built file they could send you. I have a few FreeScan files I could email you to get it working if you'd like.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I got the BCT15X for fathers day and it looks like my kid should have done more research on scanners. Looks like it is soon to be useless. uniden said they don't want it back and used the Covid-19 contamination excuse. No more uniden products in my house.

Never heard of that previously... What dealer was it purchased from that is refusing a return for Covid-19 "contamination" reasons?

Or was it just a case of not being within the 30 day return policy?

If that is actually happening as you say, folks here should be made aware of that dealer's practices. For most, a clear cut return policy is a major factor in where they purchase a scanner.

Please let us know where it was purchased from.

mwjones

Premium Subscriber
You can monitor Collin County just fine with it too.
Collin County is in the process of bringing a P25 Phase II system online in the next few months (current contract date is for handover on August 31 - and even now there's an open carrier on what will presumably be the control channel at each of the simulcast sites, just waiting for the link back to the controller to be activated), so the existing Motorola system will be fading out as users are migrated over.

Since he says he's in the Carrollton area, he's likely interested in Dallas County and Quad Cities, the latter of course is also a P25 Phase II system.

Status
Not open for further replies.