Placer Co VHF P25 System

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
You are right, the audio is horrible, most of the time you can't understand what the mobiles are saying.
The base is somewhat better. I am within a couple of miles of their tower in Auburn and have a super strong signal that is is full quieting. I do not know if a Uniden would be any better. Hopefully the system will get better in the future when they get it built out.
I'm too far out to hear the system but the poor audio could be the result of how they have the conventional channels patched in. Sometimes depending on how they do it patching in an analog signal can result in really terrible P25 voice.

GRE (and RS) has always been ahead of Uniden when it comes to P25 voice decoding. With the most recent models they're fairly close but the GRE radios will be better at recovery of audio when the signal starts to flake out and bits get lost.

abiu01

Premium Subscriber
Placer P25 East

Bill:

Probably over a year ago they had some test freqs running up on Mt.Pluto, south of Truckee
for some time on P25. I have not tried to listen to them when I am over there. I don't think
they are still up and running.

I guess they were doing some range testing or whatever. They have been working on re-building their
current sites and have added several new sites for this system.

I don't know what their schedule is for getting the system up and running.

Dave

mkewman

if you do a search on "Placer countywide interoperable radio network" in google, you'll see that this system is slowly growing because the county files for various federal and state grants (matching and others) that the county applies for and gets for each step of the building process.

each step of the way is pretty well documented on the county site, but the best way to see the progress is to do a google search.

abiu01

Premium Subscriber
TG 102 was very busy yesterday afternoon. Running encrypted all the time. I don't know if this is going to be their "secret" channel or if it was the techs just testing. I has not heard anything on TG 102 is some time.

Dave

rylvir

Feed Provider
TG 102 was very busy yesterday afternoon. Running encrypted all the time. I don't know if this is going to be their "secret" channel or if it was the techs just testing. I has not heard anything on TG 102 is some time.

Dave

I wonder if this traffic had anything to do with the perp search that took place in Granite Bay yesterday which ended around 3pm with the suspect being caught.

abiu01

Premium Subscriber
rylvir:

I did not hear about the perp search, but you are probably right. It sure fits the time frame.
Maybe TG102 is their SWAT channel or special ops channel.

mkewman

I'm too far out to hear the system but the poor audio could be the result of how they have the conventional channels patched in. Sometimes depending on how they do it patching in an analog signal can result in really terrible P25 voice.

That's exactly what it is. It's the Analog-Digital conversion. Pure Digital to Digital P25 on this system sounds delightful.

I am noticing an increase of radios on this system. It looks like they may be using 102 to do parole and swat ops. and perhaps on some of the other encrypted channels (of which there are a handful)

HOWEVER, there has NEVER been a sign of normal patrol channels being encrypted (Which is good news to us hobbyists)

mkewman

i've moved my unitrunker setup to a new location so I have to set up a new antenna to receive the system. As soon as I do, I'll run Unitrunker and see if anything else new shows up.

abiu01

Premium Subscriber
Heard another new TG today. TG 1201. Sounded like a couple of surveyors looking for corner posts and
property lines. Probably county public works or something like that. They were not on very long and I have not heard anything elso on that TG since.

Dave

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Placer County P25 Trunked System

I'd like to know what people set their radios to (trunk type) that are using PRO-106, PSR-500 or equivalent. I am using P25 Automatic but not getting hits on the TGs. When I "analyze" the control channel, it displays a system ID of "N2D0" (DB says 2DB) and a WACN of BEE00 which matches the DB. I also have between80% and 95% signal quality during the day (better at night).

russianspd

Premium Subscriber
GM,
Last night I wanted to see if I could pick up Sac SO on my PRO-106 and I had it set to P25 AUTO. When I wasn't getting anything I went back and realized that the mode for those channels were analog. So I changed the type to MOT 800/900 and then I started getting the T symbol and a signal. Unfortunately I wasn't able to pick up anything. Dunno if it has to do with my location. I live about 2-3 miles south of 8-mile road in Stockton.

I also remember reading that if a trunked system is both a mix of analog and digital frequencies that you set it to MOT 800/900. If the system is strictly digital or atleast the TG's you want to listen to are then P25 AUTO should work fine. For the PRO-106 atleast.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
System type setting on GRE scanners

GM,
Last night I wanted to see if I could pick up Sac SO on my PRO-106 and I had it set to P25 AUTO. When I wasn't getting anything I went back and realized that the mode for those channels were analog. So I changed the type to MOT 800/900 and then I started getting the T symbol and a signal. Unfortunately I wasn't able to pick up anything. Dunno if it has to do with my location. I live about 2-3 miles south of 8-mile road in Stockton.
You realize I am asking about the Placer County P25 system, right? I know I can pick up the SCRRS from where you are with an external antenna.

I also remember reading that if a trunked system is both a mix of analog and digital frequencies that you set it to MOT 800/900. If the system is strictly digital or atleast the TG's you want to listen to are then P25 AUTO should work fine. For the PRO-106 atleast.
Except the system in question is VHF, not 800 or UHF. And the system in question is a P25 system. I could see programming either the MOT VHF option or the P25 Manual option so I was curious what others have their GREs set to. Thanks

abiu01

Premium Subscriber
Placer's p25 system is up and running ok. However, over the weekend I have not heard one single
transmission. Apparently, the techs have turned off the input from the analog vhf channels. I have been
listening again this morning (monday) and still no signals heard at all.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Over the weekend I was trying to figure out why each of my digital scanners had over 90% from the site but never stopped on a transmission. This morning there was a large structure fire that had mutual aid from Sacramento, Roseville and Placer county. During that incident I finally received traffic from Placer P25.

abiu01

Premium Subscriber
Yesterday (Wednesday) I had Unitracker running all day on the Placer P25 system. There were some five and six digit TG IDs showing up logging in and out. The FCC id is up and running every 30 minutes. TGIDs 601 & 1201 were on (I have seen these before) but I never heard any audio. At about 4:30 pm id 106 came on with the Sheriff units with the analog VHF. Also 601 was running with encryption. At about 5:00 pm everything stopped. The system continued to run, but no activity at all. I guess they are just working on the system. Still no other sites showing up.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Placer Co P25

I've seen that TG 601 come up too with no audio. Glad it is not just me. I haven't been paying that close of attention to the system like you have though.

mkewman

I haven't seen any new grants or money acquired for the system lately... they must be in a holding pattern. although their document search function is wonky so i could be missing something

Status
Not open for further replies.