Places to get scanners in Ontario

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Man people here like to *****...
From personal experiences with most of the stores mentioned here:
RidioWorld-Never ever had a problem with them, in fact sales people used to dssuade me from spending $ on items. Back in the mid 90's Hurateq used to put out books, one year RadioWorld on WILSON Ave(way back when) put an add in the Star. I drove on up and the sales guy told me not to waste my $, there were few updates.
This was an item that they paid $ to place an add in the countries most read paper!

I have bought antenna, scanners, etc there, they always showed interest and took time to deal with a (at the time) long haired type. Ya, pricey but they have little competition and honestly they probably care more about GPS and maybe Hams (if people still want to be hams).

Durham-Slightly less expensive but they did not seem to care much when I asked about an atnenna, I felt they were rushing me along because I was only spending $30. Oh ya, the shipping charge using CP was $10, an absolute ripoff (I work in shipping & understand rate discounts and know what companies pay for shipping).

Lakeshore- I went there to ask about a BNC to SMA connector. The gentleman who work(ed?) there is a member of this site but rarely posts and he took about 30 of his time and gave me , not sold, gave me the item I wanted. The scanner prices were outrageous, I knew it and so the "SG," (persons initials) but the antennas were priced well.

Scannermaster-Quick, not cheap but not outrageous and they took time on the phone to answer questions and offer advice.

Bottom line to the original poster. People here love to help each other but like Slicerwizard says, we get newbies all the time and people here have long memories. Torontokris will program your scanner to your satisfaction and I bet he will beat any of the above stores listed here and deal with you and take the time to answer any question you want & even if not many other guys on here will take the time on the forums, on the phone and in person to steer you in the right direction.

Merry holidays and all the best to all on the forum, enjoying this wonderful time of the year off (without snow!) with family and friends.

Eric

meplat

Premium Subscriber
Man people here like to *****...
one year RadioWorld on WILSON Ave (way back when) put an add in the Star. I drove on up and the sales guy told me not to waste my $, there were few updates.

Atlantic Ham Radio used to be somewhere around there. I got posted from BC to Ontario and stopped into Atlantic Ham Radio to buy a 2 meter rig. That was 1992. I paid $429 for a Yaesu FT-2400. Recently, I bought an FT-1900 for $180. Very much the same kind of radio for considerably less. Mind you, the 1900 is made in China.

I do appreciate almost everyone's inputs here. I don't know what all that was about with slicerwizard. If you've had problems in the past with people, do what I did during this thread, use the ignore feature. There are two people that found their way onto that list as a result. No skin off of anyone's nose. torontokris was one of them. I suggest that if he hasn't already done so, that he puts me on his.

All the best for the holidays to you too.

RickLeb

I do appreciate almost everyone's inputs here. I don't know what all that was about with slicerwizard. If you've had problems in the past with people, do what I did during this thread, use the ignore feature. There are two people that found their way onto that list as a result. No skin off of anyone's nose. torontokris was one of them. I suggest that if he hasn't already done so, that he puts me on his.

Well you can add me to your list as well.

I think that TorontoKris has such a stong reputation on this forum, that he doesn't need any defending, but I'm hoping that if you review what happened in this thread it might open your eyes.

Post # 1 You asked for some suggestions for purchasing scanners

Post # 8 TorontoKris says that he sells scanners for $600

Post # 9 You say thanks, but you will buy yours from the USA because they are $100 cheaper

Post #13 TorontoKris asks where they can be purchased so cheaply because he can’t get them himself at $500 all included.

Post #14 You shows some calculations which end up being higher that TorontoKris and you say you don’t believe TorontoKris.

Post #15 TorontoKris points out that the calculations don’t beat his price and he wishes you good luck in your purchase

Post #18 You insinuate that TorontoKris is stupid by explaining “slowly”, but even at that speed, your calculations don’t make sense

Post #20 TorontoKris clarifies his position as a business/retailer and wishes you good luck again

Post #22 You suggest that TorontoKris is selling scanners under the table

Post #24 You say that a purchase from TorontKris would not be on the up and up

Post #25 TorontoKris clarifies he is running a business, and says he did feel slighted because you insinuated he was dumb with your “slowly” email and suggesting his business was not on the up and up

Post #26 You admitted you didn’t ask TorontoKris any details regarding the taxes or the nature of his business before accusing him of things. And since he didn't PM you with the information, he could have been selling scanners from his trunk. Then you said that he thought far too much of himself. You also promise this will be your last entry about TorontoKris.

Post #42 16 posts after you promise not to say anything else about TorontoKris, you take another cheap shot at him.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Atlantic Ham Radio was on Wilson Ave in Downsview until they merged with Norham and became Radioworld.

meplat

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I had almost forgotten about those places. I left Ontario in 1978 with the Cdn Forces and bounced around quite a lot. You tend to forget things like that. Until I bought the FT-1900, my last amateur radio purchase was made from Com West in BC.

I had purchased a Uniden BC92XLT a year or so back, but it was pretty quiet. Just before Christmas, a friend mentioned that the police and some others had gone to trunking and I realized that my scanner wasn't up to date. It's still good for roads and the local fire departments, but that's it.

yorkphotog

Premium Subscriber
RadioWorld lost my business today once again...

I wanted a new GPS to put away for my new car. Best Buy & Future Shop sell the unit for $129 (Boxing Day sale). I called RadioWorld and asked them if they would price match -- nope.

I'm not sure how they think they'll do well when the big box stores are selling the items for so much less. I just looked again -- their prices for scanners are ridiculous.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Before Christmas, I saw a Vholdr HD helmet cam on a Radioworld flyer that I thought I'd like. Radioworld was asking at least $100 more than where I ended up getting it from - and didn't throw in hal the accessory package that I ended up getting for free.

mrweather

RadioWorld lost my business today once again...

I wanted a new GPS to put away for my new car. Best Buy & Future Shop sell the unit for $129 (Boxing Day sale). I called RadioWorld and asked them if they would price match -- nope.

I'm not sure how they think they'll do well when the big box stores are selling the items for so much less. I just looked again -- their prices for scanners are ridiculous.
Radioworld wouldn't price match Best Buy and Future Shop? They know they can't compete with big-box retailers on certain items so why would they? Incidentally, I have gotten Radioworld to price match something that was almost $100 less at Durham Radio.

I've been a customer of Radioworld for over 10 years (and probably dropped $10,000 in gear and accessories during that time). Never, EVER had a problem with them. And their sales staff have greatly improved their customer service skills during that time too.

No, I'm not an employee or have a financial stake in the business. I'm just a long-term, satisfied customer.

yorkphotog

Premium Subscriber
I agree that it would be very difficult for RadioWorld to compete with the big box stores. And I also agree that I have gotten good customer service from them in the past. However, I really don't see how it is appropriate to charge so much more for items than other stores -- big box store or not.

In the end, I'm definitely not going to spend $70+ more for the same item....perhaps others will, but I'd rather be a wise consumer.

meplat

Premium Subscriber
It's always smart to know who you're buying from.

I don't mind paying a slightly higher price if the store is reputable. I tend to shy away from used equipment or places that I've never heard of. You really have to watch. Craigslist, local buy and sell boards or even boards like this one have people that lurk, wishing to separate you from your money. It's better to ask questions and not blindly jump in. Craigslist has scam artists flogging equipment all the time using divorces, deaths and separations as excuses why the item is going cheap. Sadly, despite warnings, people still get taken.

Radioworld has been around for a while and is a brick and mortar store. The fluctuating US dollar, their Toronto location and the fact that they are an actual store all contribute to higher prices. The upside is that you can take some stuff back if it needs service or is under warranty. These days however, you end up mailing most items to service centres or the OEM for warranty work.

yorkphotog

Premium Subscriber
On the flip side though, I've had only good experiences from buying using the RR classifieds. The main thing is to check feedback, but some of my best deals have come from this forum... you just have to be intelligent and as you said, ask questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.