Plane crash in Willoughby Hills

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
The scanner is awfully quiet for a plane crash. What are the active tg's?

Edit: Heard Mentor FD clear out and 2 OSP on site. Sounds pretty contained right now.

Last edited:

KB8VJU

Premium Subscriber
I heard it paged out by Willoughby Hills Fire. Between their talkgroup and Hillcrest FDs (both on MARCS-IP), that seemed to handle most of the fire traffic. Then, of course, was the uncertainty of which OSP post was going to do the report - be it Post 28 or Post 18...

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
Other than Bishop Rd being closed, it seems to be business as usual at the airport today. I heard NTSB was supposed to show up around 1pm to investigate. I've been scanning interop vhf and 800 MHz all day with no hits. I'm definitely close enough to the action that I could hear simplex radio traffic.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
So at about 1:00pm today, I was looking towards the direction of the airport and saw a fairly substantial column of black smoke rising for a few minutes. I was less than 1.5 miles away. I couldn't be sure it was coming from the airport, but it was definitely in the vicinity.

My first thought was maybe they're burning some residual materials away...? Again, not sure it was at the airport, but nothing else like that would be in the area.

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
At 120pm (coming back from lunch) I saw that same column of smoke. I was traveling South on Richmond Rd at the time and was on the opposite side of the runway. It looked further east than the opposite end of the airport. I passed the site on the way home from work. For once traffic was moving quickly at the White Rd/Bishop intersection. All I noticed was a dripping fire hydrant and that was it.

Did the accident happen ON the road?

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I haven't been by the site yet, and so I'm just piecing together what I've read - but I think the wreckage came to a halt at the intersection of Curtiss Parkway and Bishop.

Status
Not open for further replies.