Plano TRS Re-Band info

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Hot off the (ham radio) Wire!

While listening to the comute on PARK 147.1800 107.2 I heard the normal chit chat, N0XLR's technical forum is always a treat. Someone in the discussion yesterday is a Radio tech with the Plano radio shop and they had their meeting with Plano Police to discuss the up comming re-band. One thing to note from the discussion was the fact that the channel line up Plano Police use from radio to radio vary. "Tac-1 in one patrolmans radio is not in the same location on the dial as his partners may be"

Many radios were programmed with Groups for "special favors" by Techs for someone who had absolutely no business with them.

The Plano radio shop told Plano Police ALL ID's were going to be changed and outlined more efficiantly as well as Monitored and enforced by Plano Radio Shop to prevent abuse and un-authorized programming.

The new radio personality will be percise and easy to use and the Same on radio's system wide. More inter-op groups will be added and training provided to Dispatchers on how to use the "Caller ID" feature.

It was an interesting convo, Will be something to watch with Plano's Talkgroups.

mbstone99

Premium Subscriber
Plano TRS

MaxTracker said:
Hot off the (ham radio) Wire!

While listening to the comute on PARK 147.1800 107.2 I heard the normal chit chat, N0XLR's technical forum is always a treat. Someone in the discussion yesterday is a Radio tech with the Plano radio shop and they had their meeting with Plano Police to discuss the up comming re-band. One thing to note from the discussion was the fact that the channel line up Plano Police use from radio to radio vary. "Tac-1 in one patrolmans radio is not in the same location on the dial as his partners may be"

Many radios were programmed with Groups for "special favors" by Techs for someone who had absolutely no business with them.

The Plano radio shop told Plano Police ALL ID's were going to be changed and outlined more efficiantly as well as Monitored and enforced by Plano Radio Shop to prevent abuse and un-authorized programming.

The new radio personality will be percise and easy to use and the Same on radio's system wide. More inter-op groups will be added and training provided to Dispatchers on how to use the "Caller ID" feature.

It was an interesting convo, Will be something to watch with Plano's Talkgroups.

I wonder how soon Plano will be starting their switch over with re-banding. It should be interesting to see if they clean up the TG's as well as the ID's as right now I know there are TG's all over the place it's a pretty big mess. I wonder when Frisco is going to move over to their system and if Plano is just going to wait to re-band till after Frisco is off. That would free up a hell of a lot of TG's and clean up and group together common TG's.

Matt

RESCUE4NFD

Matt, I haven't heard of any cities in the Metroplex that have re-banded yet.I know Garland has done some basic work to their system,but its going to be sometime before they re-band according to a source that works with the Garland system.Has any other city already re-banded?Thanks for any Info.

mbstone99

Premium Subscriber
Rebanding

RESCUE4NFD said:
Matt, I haven't heard of any cities in the Metroplex that have re-banded yet.I know Garland has done some basic work to their system,but its going to be sometime before they re-band according to a source that works with the Garland system.Has any other city already re-banded?Thanks for any Info.

Not that I know of. From what I hear everyone is still exactly where they should be. I am guessing the original time line of re-banding got moved greatly. I haven't seen any time of new time line published either.

Matt

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
Plano is one of the systems that I am hoping to pick up (from Mansfield) with the addition of my Yagi... I have an attic Scantenna and a window RS800 and just barely get a signal from them.

rescue1017

I havent heard anything new since my meeting with motorola 3 months ago when we where talking new radios and Plano aint saying much the last time I was there

Firetxmi

I really doubt it. As of right now even the channels that most departments encrypt aren't encrypted. I think Plano will be judicious about their encryption. Or at least I hope so.

SCPD

QRT
there was talk a few months ago they would encrypt PS talk groups. there was talk a few years ago they Also would encrypt ERT, NARC and a few other TG-ID's. Some radio's has the capability while others didn't. A lot like CCSO radios. I keep hearing Plano is to phase into Astro Digital by Summer 08. Astro is nothing like P-25. I wonder if "Astro" is just easier to say for the Techs or if its really going to be Astro Digital untill they can finance design and construct a real P-25 TRS?

Has anyone heard if Wylie will actually join the Plano system? or will this stay Plano, Allen, Frisco and the smaller towns?

VictorXray

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
Max, there is no difference between "Astro Digital" and P25 or APCO25. Astro is simply Motorola's marketing term for P25. Their newest family of radios is called ASTRO25, so it gets even more convoluted. But rest assured, there is nothing different about a Motorola radio running in Astro mode and an EF Johnson radio running P25.
Disclaimer: I'm talking about Motorola Astro today, not the mid 90s proprietary modulation using VSELP which has long since been discontinued

Wylie has been extended an invitation to join Plano's new system but I don't know if they will switch from the LTR they invested in. Frisco has their own TRS so they won't be on it. Don't expect to see the new system online until next year, definitely not Summer 08.

Status
Not open for further replies.