Plant Fire in Great Falls, Chester County

Status
Not open for further replies.

Searay

Premium Subscriber
Military helicopters doing water drops today operating on 300.4000 Mhz.

Matt

Newshound

Premium Subscriber
I was in our chopper yesterday, flying over the waterdrops. It was very impressive. Three blackhawk choppers drawing water from the Catawba River and dumping it on the fire. It took each chopper approx. 6 minutes for each trip, and they flew all day long.

delta85

Other communications at the scene are as follows:

Fire and EMS: 154.250 (Chester Co Fire Tac 4) and it is hopping with activity!

Law enforcement: 158.850 (Great Falls PD)

State Fire mobilization and DHEC: SCMA 02 (Palmetto 800)

DHEC and others: ITAC1 (simplex)

SC State Guard: 462.600 GMRS (volunteer military guys, they talk more than anyone else at the scene)

Chester SO and Highway Patrol on their standard TGs on the Palmetto system.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
>> The helicopters were talking to the ground on 123.100 MHz (AM) as well.

Surprisingly, the State Guard is licensed for use of that frequency ... the only "licensed" entity in S.C.

It sounds like Richburg Fire Department has been operating their command post vehicle from the fire scene during the past few days ... 155.130 / 74.4 R.

A couple of fire vehicles were responding to the fire - either Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon - and using talkgroup 36832 on the Palnet system. I monitored them for while off the Lancaster site. They also made reference to a FEMA Tac 2 talkgroup programmed in zone 6 of their radios.

Jeff Multer

delta85

Palmetto 800 talk group 36832, if it was digital, was more than likely the Lancaster County Roam talk group. I am pretty sure that they had representatives on scene.

Jeff, If you were hearing that talk group traffic on the Lancaster site, that would mean that someone in Lancaster was listening because a portable radio on the scene wouldn't have enough signal to affiliate with site 48 in Lancaster. Site 46 (Chester) was the only site a portable could affiliate reliably with from Great Falls. This is why I say that it was probably some of Lancaster County/City emergency services.

I heard a lot of Columbia FD traffic on SCMA 02 yesterday. A Cola Battalion Chief mentioned that he was bringing their command vehicle back to Great Falls with him. Not much on there today.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
Thanks for the additional info and comments, Delta.

Although I have logged 36832 in use before, on this occasion the comms were between two separate mobile units - F1 and F2 - who were trying to find their way to the scene from I-77 via Hwy 97.

The talkgroup is digital.

For mobile units, the Lancaster site seems to do quite well to the southwest, as I occasionally will hear a Fairfield County SCHP unit on the interstate off the site ... even from below Hwy 34. Unfortunately, the Chester site is not consistant-enough to monitor here.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.