• 20221223_103934.jpg
    20221223_103934.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 175
  • 20221223_103027.jpg
    20221223_103027.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 165

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Was that giant piece of cement buried in the ground up to the white edge?

jmfirefighter

Was that giant piece of cement buried in the ground up to the white edge?

Yes, that is (was) the foundation. About 10' from end end. Ripped it right out of the ground and dragged it 10 feet. Amazing power. Tore the steel mounting bracket on one of the other legs, about 3/4"-1" thick steel plate.

jmarcel66

Feed Provider
I'm assuming the Pembroke 575 GMRS repeater will be down for the foreseeable future. I don't think the repeater or tower were damaged. But the power to it came from the building that had the big tower. There's no need to power it for awhile. if ever again.

It's also possible when it does come back on line, it'll be the "(Insert town name here) 575" repeater.

12dbsinad

I've never seen a free standing tower with a block of cement for each leg. Should be one massive concrete slab underground with the pears tied to it. Unless the pears came detached and we just can't see the rest. Either way, that should NOT have happened in this relatively small scale wind storm. Scary.

jmarcel66

Feed Provider
Unitil was on one of the smaller towers that I think came down. I'm not sure how often they've been using their Low Band anyway. Some of their newer pickups don't have any antennas in them.

cboykonh

They still use 37.58 repeater? Or don’t they use that at all? I know it’s listed as that for their frequency, so not sure if they are still using that frequency on a repeater?

GraniteScanner

Radio Nerd
Premium Subscriber
I had that freq. on my desktop scanner up until recently when I re-did the code plugs to patch my portable scanners. It sill gave out an ID over Morse code but never any voice traffic from what I heard.

They still use 37.58 repeater? Or don’t they use that at all? I know it’s listed as that for their frequency, so not sure if they are still using that frequency on a repeater?

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
I've never seen a free standing tower with a block of cement for each leg. Should be one massive concrete slab underground with the pears tied to it.
There are quite a few towers I've seen with this type of base. Especially larger ones. If done correctly, the tower would be just as strong.
Typically when a tower fails, it is due to one of the following:

1) Structural failure due to improper loading. AKA mounting antennas without a proper engineering load analysis to make sure it complies with ANSI/TIA-222H (The current standard), or 222G (the most recent standard). If the tower is up to this standard, it'll withstand very severe icing and wind events. (Including the most recent storm)

2) An unknown failure that was already starting, and caused significant weakening of the tower. This is usually caused by poor or no maintenance done to the tower. (Inspections, painting, etc.)

3) A tornado or derecho (Incredibly strong winds).

4) Vandalism.

cg

Premium Subscriber
It was windy but nothing crazy. Mt Washington's peak speed for that storm was 150mph so not unheard of for a winter storm. I would suspect it wasn't one thing but a number of events that led to the collapse. The wind was likely the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

12dbsinad

There are quite a few towers I've seen with this type of base. Especially larger ones. If done correctly, the tower would be just as strong.
Typically when a tower fails, it is due to one of the following:

The piers need to be anchored to something. If no ledge, it's a concrete slab that you won't see. When wind it applied to the structure, there is massive amounts of uplift on one side that is why the foundation is way way over engineered even with maximum tower loading. The structure should fail before the foundation. In this case, obviously there is/was a serious problem. Did the freestanding tower take out the smaller guyed tower? It's hard to tell by the pics.