Plasti-dipping an antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics! They're kind of big but I wanted to be sure they had enough detail.

A few "before" shots. One antenna is a Browning BR-180 2m/70cm antenna and the other is a Browning BR-140 CB antenna. Both are using NMO trunk lip mounts. As you can see both are stainless steel. I don't mind stainless steel, but it tends to stand out so I wanted to black everything out.
gIRwGwh.jpg

Mkb33bf.jpg

Here's the plastidip. It's around $6 at Lowe's and comes in a variety of colors.
QmdxEt1.jpg

Originally I put painter's tape over the base where the company's logo is located. Later I decided to go ahead and plasti-dip this part as well so I wound up not needing any tape.
bubZjHj.jpg

After!
kMlbr3H.jpg

vKJ23SQ.jpg

YIWZdKf.jpg

zTXtLkl.jpg

Overall, I'm impressed. It didn't change the performance of the antennas and it doesn't seem to have added any wind resistance. I think it's much less noticeable than the shiny stainless steel. The best part is that I can easily go back to the stainless if I want to.

Thanks for the kind comments! I'm very happy with how it turned out.

I had enough left over in the can to put on a few rubber duckies I had. They still worked fine but the rubber was starting to fall off. So I put a layer of electrical tape on them and then sprayed over that with 2 coats of the Plastidip. They don't look perfect but at least no more rubber can chip off and it looks better than an antenna with large chunks of rubber missing.

_Wilson_

Premium Subscriber
looks really great! Bob, going to try to find some tomorrow, and thanks for the link Fourthhorseman.

SCPD

QRT
I am a little late as i can see you went ahead and did it. I dip all my antennas it's easier and cheaper than buying black antennas. + real paint is a mess and hard to remove unlike plastidip.

I have dipped coils too without an issue (of course i don't run more than 150W vhf via mobile).
Here's one I just did a few hours ago
revama9e.jpg

Last edited:

Darth_vader

"Consider the liquid can a one-shot deal: open it, use it. Don't count on it keeping consistency; it will begin to cure right away."

Transferring the stuff to a small aluminium or steel paint tin with a tight-fitting "hammer-on" lid (<=US$1.00 at your local hardware store) helps the stuff keep its proper semi-liquid consistency when in storage. Experience has taught me the flimsy, loose-fitting plastic lids that come attached to the (very expensive, at over $10 at the hardware store I go to) tins of Plasti-dip are beyond inadequate for storage longer than about 3-4 days. I recently came across some black PD that was re-tinned more than two years ago and it was still perfectly fluid.

This assumes you are using the "dip" or "brush-on" product, not the aerosol spray.

Status
Not open for further replies.