BCD396T/BC996T: Please Helo

Status
Not open for further replies.

johncoleman

Hello,
Can someone please tell me how to reset my Uniden 396T back to factory as i did something wrong while programming it. I have programed it before but its been years and now I can't get it to work after programming it again . I can get the info in there but no sound. Yes the volume is turned up all the way up

BMYKEL

found this answer in another forum

1. Turn off your scanner

2. Hold down the following keys at the same time.

2, 9, and hold

3. While holding down those three buttons, power the unit on

That is all there is to it. You will have to press the Yes key afterwards, but you will be able to see that in the window when it asks you. After you hit the yes key, it will take a minute at least to reset itself.

johncoleman

Hello

Thank you so much. I did that one and then re entered my city (Novato Calif ? and it does not stop on my scanner but it does stop on my neighbors and has sound on his . I can't figure what i did wrong on my scanner ?

John

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
It may be that your scanner's receiving circuit is bad or there is some type of antenna/antenna connector issue.

I suggest you try a weather scan to see if you receive any weather broadcasts. If you don't, that suggest a reception issue.

Every so often, someone will place their scanner too close to a transmitter (as in a couple of feet). There is a diode that fails when this happens, just to prevent the whole receiver circuit from being fried.

It is fixable fortunately.

rwier

Check the headphone outlet. If working, the main speaker may have failed. A common problem (I think) with the 396T.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Aside from the suggestions above (all good) remember that the 396T is now about 12 years old and the preprogramed frequencies for your city may have changed. There have also been several firmware updates that made the radio capable of receiving re-banded systems.

I have found with my 396T that the speaker is fine, but the headphone jack is intermittent. I have to plug and unplug a cable several times and then it clears up (so far). Do you hear the key beeps?

The firmware version can be checked by pressing the menu key, selecting Settings, Scanner Information and Firmware. The latest (and final) firmware version is 3.02.02.

Update:

Novato is now part of the Marin County trunked system. Willing to bet that did not exist in 2005. Assuming there is nothing wrong with the scanner, you will need a cable and software. Then you can download the system from Radio Reference.

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Any 12-year-old frequency database is pretty much worthless, given the nearly total switchover to trunked systems. Dump it and replace it with current data.

johncoleman

Hello All and thank you so much for your help
I have solved the problem as it was in the Antenna connection . I got lucky to figure it out by trying different Antennas and one I wiggled and heard a sound so that told me where the problem was . He then took off the back plate and fixed the problem.

Thanks again and Happy scanning

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.