Please help a newbie at scanning :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transvestor

Hello everyone, I've been reading up a lot on this forum but I am still confused on a few things. For starters, I recently recieved a BC246T Scanner and UASD software from a friend of mine, but im having an incredible time getting it to work. I live in toronto and when i put in any frequencies and CTCSS numbers I never hear anything, and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Ive tried conventional and trunkated so far but no luck yet.. but I will continue to plug away at this until i get it. Any help/Advice?

Also, if anyone has any toronto files that would work for me would they mind posting them here? Even if its not complete I would LOVE a reference point or something to somewhat guide me... I'm doing this "blind" atm.

Thanks everyone!

mciupa

Database Admin
I hope EJB will read your post. He's in Toronto and one of his scanner's is a 246 , so he can be of assistance .

Yo , Eric ! Where are ya ? :lol:

gopherit

Help a Newbie

I just bought a BC246 last fri. and had the same problem.
Finnaly all I did on the 246 was manually enter new system, named it TPS East set it to MOT 2 standard and set the Freq. to control channel only and enter the east tower control, then set it to search id's and then hit quick save with the ID's I wanted,
did it again for the south tower for new system 2 and entered that control freq. and did the same as system 1. it works well can monitor both towers.
Thers is a page with instructions in the Bear Cat Forum on how to do it from the computer. At least it works while I play and learn how to do it from the computer.

Last edited:

wyldman

I had that problem when I first got my 246.I would program everything in,but it wouldn't trunk.i ended up doing like above,and manually entered one system,then imported that into the software,and set up other systems based on that.I can now creat new systems from scratch and everything works.Not sure why it didn't in the beginning.

I use ARC246,it's WAAYYY easier to use.

I have some 246 files set up if anyone in the GTA can use them.You will need to download the ARC246 software to load them in.Even if i don't have it,I can probably whip one up for whatever you want.

SCPD

QRT
Sorry this is a bit OT but to wyldman and gopherit...Did you end up discovering things about your radios during manual programming.

Even though I end up buying the arc software I've found that struggling through programming initially by hand always gets me very familiar with the radio. Of course I've got tons of patience and another scanner that I can already listen to before I start so I'm sure that helps but I was just curious if anyone else uses this torture method to learn about their scanners.

Transvestor

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try, but if anyone has additional tips please respond. And to wyldman, is there ANY way for you to get those GTA files to work for UASD?

Thanks a ton :)

wyldman

I was already pretty familiar with the unit,and I'm pretty handy,so I didn't need to read or fiddle much to figure out the 246.

I tried the UASD software once or twice,and it's horrible.I gave up,and switched to ARC.You can download the free demo to play with and load a few systems,and then use the USAD software to read them back out of the scanner.

Transvestor

I honestly don't know what I'm doing wrong. I used the arc demo to get a few systems on, but no matter what, I can't hear anything, and I'm just trying the "Conventional" systems right now...not worrying about trunking until i can get a conventional system working...I'm using all the info from the radioreference database for my town, but nothing seems to work. If there's a CTCSS in the info that will never make any noise for me, not even the buzzing. The other ones without CTCSS are all empty and i dont make out anything except static:( What am I doing wrong?

wyldman

Where are you located ? Maybe i could set one up for you.

Are you sure you can receive these frequencies ? A lot of the simple conventional stuff is down lower where the rubber antenna doesn't do well.I had the same problem with Fleetnet.It was set up right,I just needed to be in the right spot,or use a better antenna.

If your just recieving static,I'm pretty sure your not getting a good enough signal.An external antenna will do wonders.I build a dipole myself,from a thread on here in the Antenna forum.Works awesome for 150 Mhz,and pretty good right up to 800 Mhz.Cost me all of $30.00 for everything to build two of them,one slightly smaller than the other.You can even try the cheap wire version to see if you can at least pick something up.

The other thing might be the frequencies you have programmed just do not have a lot of traffic on them,and aren't transmitting when your listening.I don't get much traffic on the conventional frequencies anymore.

Transvestor

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. To answer your questions, I'm located In North York Toronto, around Keele and lawrence. On pretty much all of the ones ive tried to listen to so far i did not hear static when i tried putting in the CTCSS, but when i didnt, all i heard was static and nothing else. If I can't get these conventional channels then what would you reccomend i set up to listen to?(like know of any systems that would almost be guaranteed to work from where I'm located?) Once i get started and actually get one or two working I'll be fine, I just need that boost:p

Also, any chance you have AIM or MSN so we can talk? Might work out a tad easier. Thanks again for everything, I await your response:)

slicerwizard

The TPS north zone site at 2600 Jane St. is less than five km from you.

Menu / Program System / New System / MOT / 800 MHz Standard

Edit Sys Option / Set C-Ch Only / On

Set Frequencies / New Frequency / 866.7375

Scan

You can monitor the system in ID SEARCH mode.

Transvestor

Thanks man, Ill give it a try! Also, would you happen to have ANY info on getting some conventional channels to work for me? Even one would be enough for now so I know how to set them up.

slicerwizard

Hold / 162.4 / Hold :)

Other than that, conventional channels have to go in to a group in a conventional system, so

Menu / Program System / New System / Conventional

Edit Group / New Group / Edit Channel / New Channel / freq

That's all there is to it.

Transvestor

The 162.4 worked:p

For other channels on "http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&ctid=4326" do you reccomend putting in the CTCSS, ect because when I do that, I only get dead silence:(

Also, from http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&ctid=4326, do you know of any convs that i would get no problem from where I'm located? All the ones I'm trying are turning up to be static, but when I program ALL the info(FM, CTCSS, ect) I just get dead air.

Thank you very much btw, I really appreciate this and am getting the hang of it:)

EDIT- 1 last question before I go guys, with the BC246T, is it possible to get any of the analog from the Bell Fleetnet - Ontario Provincial Government Zone 1 System? I followed the instructions, set it up as the VHF type 2, and put the freqs for toronto, but I am not getting anything.

Last edited:

slicerwizard

Many of those conventional channels are fairly quiet, so that's probably part of your problem. Maybe others can suggest a busy taxi frequency. :)

Fleetnet analog is doable if you properly program the Toronto or King sites, but you need a VHF antenna. The stock duck won't cut it.

wyldman

I have never programmed any of the tones,I have never needed to.You only need to if there is other interference getting in the way on those frequencies.Skip it for now.

Like mentioned,you will need a better antenna for any Fleetnet stuff,external recommended.You should program Fleetnet with all the talkgroups you want,and leave any digital stuff out.Otherwise you will get a ton of digital noise when it tries to listen to OPP.I strongly recommend building a homemade dipole like I mentioned above,it will bring a lot of the conventional frequencies and Fleetnet to life.

You can also try some conventional aircraft frequencies,as they are pretty strong in the GTA area.

PM me your email,and I can send you a couple of files for Peel region,and the Toronto public safety system.I also have all of the airport stuff set up too.I do have Fleetnet setups,but only for OPP.You could use it as a model,and then just add the analog talkgroups you want,and delete the digital stuff.

Transvestor

Will do, thanks:) and I'll look into this homemade dipole buisness, sounds like something I can do and I have my vacation starting now anyways:)

gopherit

Wheelchair OT

Yes I did learn & find out a lot about what the 246 will do. Found it very easy to use. and what i'm useing right now is a 800 meg duck, works very well all over the GTA in the car, set to the south tower.can get everything I want to monitor.

imcleish

Transvestor,

I hope you are not trying the toronto public safety non-trunked frequencies. Very seldom do I hear anything on these as they are the backup to the trunk system.

I also have a 246 and ARC Programing software.

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.