Please help a sight impaired gal

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustman

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

My name is Cherie, and I am legally blind. I had help programming my Uniden BCD396T through FreeScan so that the only programming on it was Indianapolis Public Safety (MECA) on key # !. I recently sold it to a very nice older lady in Atlanta, GA.. She admits she has only had one scanner in the past, bought 9 years ago, and programmed by Radio Shack.

I would like to erase all programming in the scanner, and install Atlanta Georgia public safety for her before I send it. I can still see enough to navigate a bit, but it has been some time since the scanner was programmed, and I have forgotten how to do it.

Will somebody take mercy on us?

Thanks,

Cherie (wife of dustman)

krd400

Hi Cherie,

Follow the instructions in this link InitializingMemory < UnidenMan4 < TWiki to clear your scanner. It pertains to the BCD396XT but should be the same for the BCD396T.

As for the loading of the Atlanta, GA public safety, that is best accomplished using Freescan, which you apparently are familiar with, but I would highly recommend using the RR download feature. You could still use the EZ-Grab feature of Freescan without the RR download but with limited eye sight it might be too much of a challenge.

Did you promise the buyer that you would program the Atlanta, GA public safety system for her as part of the sale?

KR

dustman

Premium Subscriber
Hello krd400,

Thank you so much for your reply! I was able to follow your directions and cleared the scanner! Thank you!

About the lady, this scanner is too complicated for her (and me LOL), I wish someone more into scanners had bought it. If she can't program in the Atlanta public safety, I will probably be getting it back.

It has been so long since I went through the nightmare of programming this scanner in the first place, I am drawing a blank. I have been searching the RR site for the download feature, but am not running into it. I know once I finally figure it out, I will feel like an idiot. Coupled with near blindness, and recovering from a stroke, things just aren't simple anymore. Again, sorry for being such a pain.

Thank you again,

Cherie

dustman

Premium Subscriber
Well, I found it. I got everything ready to download an it said I have to pay more money to get it. It seems my subscription expired about 3 weeks ago. What a bummer, when I have sold the scanner. Guess I will have to find another way.

Thanks again,

Cherie

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Well, I found it. I got everything ready to download an it said I have to pay more money to get it. It seems my subscription expired about 3 weeks ago. What a bummer, when I have sold the scanner. Guess I will have to find another way.

Thanks again,

Cherie

In that case you may wish to post in the Ga forum and ask if someone can send you a pre-configured file for Freescan that covers what you want to monitor.

You would then "import" the file into Freescan, and then just upload to your scanner.

N8IAA

Hello,

My name is Cherie, and I am legally blind. I had help programming my Uniden BCD396T through FreeScan so that the only programming on it was Indianapolis Public Safety (MECA) on key # !. I recently sold it to a very nice older lady in Atlanta, GA.. She admits she has only had one scanner in the past, bought 9 years ago, and programmed by Radio Shack.

I would like to erase all programming in the scanner, and install Atlanta Georgia public safety for her before I send it. I can still see enough to navigate a bit, but it has been some time since the scanner was programmed, and I have forgotten how to do it.

Will somebody take mercy on us?

Thanks,

Cherie (wife of dustman)

Cherie, I hope this helps. It is a file with Atlanta Public Safety and DeKalb county.
Larry

dustman

Premium Subscriber
Getting there...

Hello, N8IAA,

Thanks for the post, Larry.. I have managed to get it onto freeSCAn, both Atlanta and DeKalb are on the left, and they can be cascaded. I assumed it would be imported to the scanner, but a pae opens up with all kinds of settings, but does not allow to accept, or do anything with the files. Am I missing a step?

Cherie

dustman

Premium Subscriber
I got it!

It's the pest again! I got it! The Atlanta & DeKalb program is loaded onto my scanner. I will have it shipped today!

Thank you so much!

Cherie (dustman's wife)

Status
Not open for further replies.