Please Help! Firmware upgrade failure...

Status
Not open for further replies.

garyjh2

I used the wrong key# when attempting to install firmware upgrade to BCD396T. Scanner is either disabled or the memory has been completely erased. At power-up, all I get is a blank display and flashing backlight. My computer cannot comunicate with my scanner. I had this thread posted on another forum and received a couple of suggestion to try. I have tried re-installing the upgrade several times, no luck. I have tried holding the HOLD, 2 and 6 buttons down while pressing the power button on, no luck, still just a flashing display. Any suggestions will be welcome, thank you.

Last edited:

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I used the wrong key# when attempting to install firmware upgrade to BCD396T. Scanner is either disabled or the memory has been completely erased. At power-up, all I get is a blank display and flashing backlight. My computer cannot comunicate with my scanner. I had this thread posted on another forum and received a couple of suggestion to try. I have tried re-installing the upgrade several times, no luck. I have tried holding the HOLD, 2 and 6 buttons down while pressing the power button on, no luck, still just a flashing display. Any suggestions will be welcome, thank you.

I adivised hold down the HOLD, 2 and 9 not 6

Last edited:

K7CAR

His firmware update failed, he doesn't need to do a reset. I had the same thing happen on my update to my BCT15X. Follow the troubleshooting tips here http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/vi...date?sortcol=table;up=#Update_Troubleshooting Make sure you remove the power to the radio (battery/AC adapter) prior to starting the firmware update. The way the instructions read you need to push the buttons and then apply power. 3 hands would be helpful. It's a bit confusing and could be worded much better.
The problem with my 15X was a communication issue with the USB-Serial adapter, so when I switched over to a direct Serial connection via the Uniden cable the firmware update went off without a hitch. If that option isn't available, then I'd suggest doing a search on here and read up on all the USB-Serial driver problems. There are pages and pages, so sorry I can't be of more help. I can feel your pain. You must get the firmware update to install otherwise your scanner is useless.

garyjh2

Thanks for the reply. What I did was accidently use the key# for Version 2 upgrade to install the Version 3 upgrade. I have tried reinstalling the upgrade several times, no luck. I am assuming that the memory in the scanner is either disabled or erased. The computer and the scanner cannot communicate even though the scanner is connected and powered on. There was never a problem with the two communicating before my screw up.
Again, thanks

sjlamb

He needs to reset in order to restore comms between the scanner and the PC so that he can re-attempt the update.

Unplug the wall adapter from the scanner. Remove the batteries. Plug the wall adapter back into the scanner (leave the batteries out for now). MAKE SURE that you are holding down the HOLD, 2 and 9 buttons and then (while still holding down HOLD, 2 and 9), power up the radio.

Remove the programming cable while doing all this just to be safe.....

Last edited:

dracer777

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I had the same issue with my 396xt. I tried everything that everyone suggested. Nothing worked. I went to another comp, ran the update, wrote it fine. Although, all my settings and data were gone. Try a different computer....

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
2, 9, HOLD will do nothing for this. You need to apply the update using the correct key. Follow every step at BCD396TFirmwareUpdate < UnidenMan4 < TWiki, including pressing L/O+6 when prompted.

The boot routine handles firmware updates and is not affected by the update, so cannot be wiped.

Also, make sure that you are selecting the correct COM port and that no other software is running that might be trying to use the COM port.

garyjh2

Thanks, I was successful with the upgrade. For some reason the key# I received tonight from UNIDEN was a different key# than I was receiving before. With the new# the upgrade went through without a hitch.
Thank all of you, very much, for your help.

K7CAR

Good to hear you were able to get it up and running again. I know when it happened to me I was in a panic for about 3 hours! My update didn't require a key# or it was already incorporated in the installation software, so I didn't have to deal with that fortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.