Please Help - Having trouble programming RS pro-162 with ARC 160 and RS 20-047 cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

timlangham

Premium Subscriber
Newbie here! I downloaded the beta version ARC-160. I tried to send the information from my pc to my scanner but it did not work. According to the RS manual on page 68, All I have to do is plug the cable in and "wired programming" automatically starts. I am using the RS 20-047 programming cable. Each time I try to upload to scanner, I get an error "Scanner not detected, check cable and/or comport setting" This is the first time that I have tried programming a scanner via a pc.

Please help I have pulled out just about all my hair.

Thank you in advance!

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
You may need to check the Device Manager for the USB to Serial port assigned during driver installation. It will be listed in Ports (Com & LPT).

I don't have ARC 160 but do have ARC 500. When you select Download/Upload from/to scanner, a popup should ask for the above port.

timlangham

Premium Subscriber
The software I have is a Beta version. I did not get a port option when I tried to upload. I am assuming that this function is not enabled on the beta version. I might have to wait until the full version to be released

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
According to Butel web page it will Upload banks 0 through 4.

Did you check for the port as suggested?

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
BTW, I just downloaded and installed Beta, did an Internet Import of a Motorola II trunking system to bank 1, clicked Upload to Scanner, selected bank 1 then clicked Send to Scanner and got the dialog to check for Scanner for a few seconds before giving up to an error report stating Scanner not detected, check for com port and cable.

If you got something similar, make sure the port is indicated as I previously stated and make sure the cable is completely plugged into the scanner.

timlangham

Premium Subscriber
I did check the com port on my pc. However, I did not see the option in the software to change the com port withing the software. You were successful in uploading to your scanner?

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
I did check the com port on my pc. However, I did not see the option in the software to change the com port withing the software. You were successful in uploading to your scanner?
What com port is indicated in Ports (Com & LPT)

No, I don't have the scanner, but the software went through the search for a port so it works a little different then my ARC500 software. But the search indicates if a port is assigned and the cable is connected firmly to the scanner, it will load. If not connected firmly to USB port, you won't find it listed in the Ports (Com & LPT).

eosin

Bump on the com port problem. This is driving me nuts. After lots of futzing about with the cable (RS 20-546) I got it to work once.. what I had to do it seems is troubleshoot the USB serial cable and it found that there were no drivers installed for the device even thought I installed the software that came on the CD with the cable. Win7 went out and found a driver and when I tried ARC160, it uploaded fine but then I went back to reduce all the frequencies I put in there and now it's back to the same stupid com port not found and it always just tries usb port 3 and I'm on port 1. I sure wish I could manually set the com port because this is insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.