Please help me program before I pass out here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FNG

Hello everyone!

I have a BCT8 and I just got hired on at the city of Rocky Mount,NC Fire department. (excited as hell!!!...My dream job!!!) I was just thinking since I am bored, that I would set up my scanner so I could start following the radio traffic. Our entire city is on 800 Mhz and I just stuck all the freqs I had into the scanner as regular channels. Well I'm hearing everything from the PD to the garbage trucks to the damned city busses!!! HAHA.... I found this page http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=2948
but with the manual for my scanner, it just doesn't quite make sense....can someone please help me through it?

captclint

Mentor
I am not an expert in Mot II systems, so this is only to get you started reading the manual in the right place. What you need is on Page 30-33. You need to set the the bank (any bank will do) for E2 (Mot II -800 mhz). Then you can enter all the frequencies listed for the system using "M" trunk type for each freq. I would enter in the 1st freq in the 1st channel in the bank in the exact order listed.

Then, you can enter the Type 2 talk group ID's. Then set your scanner to scan in the ID Scan mode, and you should only hear the public safety groups that you entered.

If you still have problems, someone with more experience can step in with specific help,

John_M is right...all this is much easier with software.

Last edited:

FNG

which of those numbers on that page are the type 2 ID's? and how do I put them in correctly?

FNG

I have ARC8 (demo) and also IDTracker, and of course, the software that came with it.

John_M

FNG said:
which of those numbers on that page are the type 2 ID's? and how do I put them in correctly?

The TG ID's are listed on the bottem along with the Text Tag you should enter. Remember for Type II systems all fleetmaps should be set to 00.

Last edited:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
John_M said:
The TG ID's are listed on the bottem along with the Text Tag you should enter. Remember for Type II systems all fleetmaps should be set to 00.

The default for a type II motorola should already be zero.

FNG

I have put in all the freqs, and i put in all those hex numbers....but i'm just not sure i've done it right. I have it scanning now, but i cant get it to show "id scan"...it just does PVT scan...I'm quickly loosing my hair here!!!! :D

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
FNG said:
I have put in all the freqs, and i put in all those hex numbers....but i'm just not sure i've done it right. I have it scanning now, but i cant get it to show "id scan"...it just does PVT scan...I'm quickly loosing my hair here!!!! :D

Only put the decimal numbers, not hex. Have you tried just using ID search to see if the radio will track your system?

FNG

Yeah..I mean DEC....not HEX.....I cant get the ID search to work...I swear I'm following what the manual says the best I can...but it seems kinda vague...

captclint

Mentor
Trunking is not easy. You are expecting instant success. Try to take it easy. Have you pushed the "Trunk" button, and then selected PVT?

FNG

Yes sir...I guess it's searching now...because it's stopping and flashing ID's that I haven't entered.... I'm sorry if I come across as expecting instant success...didn't mean to, but I have a vast knowlege of electronics, radios, pc's , scanners and such...My Call sign is KI4HDW...just wasn't expecting this to be so hard to understand....

Status
Not open for further replies.