Please help me with my paperweight BCD996P2

Status
Not open for further replies.

id2nv2nj2ca2id

Premium Subscriber
I have a brand new BCD996P2. I got it mainly because I wanted to hear what goes on in and near Glendora, where my wife and I live. Last night (early this morning, actually), I finally figured out how to program a few frequencies I found from this website into it.

I programmed in what I thought was Glendora PD Dispatch, GPD Tactical, Glendora Mutual Aid, LA County Fire Dispatch, LA Cty Fire Response and LA Cty Fire Tactical.

So far, the only transmissions I am hearing are from LA County Fire Dispatch and the closest "Call" was for something at the 57 Fwy and Grand Ave. Mabye (and probably most likely) I didn't program something right and would appreciate any help or suggestions.

Does anyone here have a list of frequencies or any suggestions so I can hear what is going on in this immediate area? Fire, Police, etc etc etc? What do you all listen to in this area?

Thanks in advance.

cvfd625

Purchase an annual subscription to RadioReference.com and download the scanner programming software Free Scan. You can import frequencies from the RR database to Fresh Scan and upload them to your scanner. It's the only way to go.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

id2nv2nj2ca2id

Premium Subscriber
Purchase an annual subscription to RadioReference.com and download the scanner programming software Free Scan. You can import frequencies from the RR database to Fresh Scan and upload them to your scanner. It's the only way to go.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thank you so much. I have a RR Premium Subscription good for, I believe 6 months and I used the Freescan software to upload the few frequencies I listed previously to the scanner. Now, I'm just looking for what I have to do to listen to more than just Fire Dept dispatch calls that seem centered in LA proper. ;-)

Thanks again for the reply, I appreciate it.

bigcam406

After looking at the database Glendale PD is now a part of the ICIS P25 trunking system and their talkgroups are encrypted. The fire is dispatched under LA County which you correctly programmed.

bigcam406

Sorry to ruin your day. But on the bright side you live in an area that is a scanner hobbyists dream with so much to listen to. I wouldnt get too down about it.

allend

Premium Subscriber
That's fantastic. I spent over $300 on a paperweight, Iike I said before. :(

That's what I get for NOT doing my due diligence beforehand.

Actually you got a good price for a great radio. This is Uniden's work horse of their line of scanner radios. You did good. Most of those Law Enforcement agencies in your area went silent about 1 year ago or so, but there is still have El Monte PD and Monterey PD which are all in digital that has some good stuff. You have Whittier PD still in the clear. Alhambra PD is still in the clear too.

You also have LAPD and LAFD and all of LA County Sheriff's and Fire to listen too. Plus Glendora backs up to the foothills so you have the Angeles National Forest and USFS to listen too.

Just make sure you have a good antenna and I would put one up on your roof so you can pull in some distant signals from far.

id2nv2nj2ca2id

Premium Subscriber
Actually you got a good price for a great radio. This is Uniden's work horse of their line of scanner radios. You did good. Most of those Law Enforcement agencies in your area went silent about 1 year ago or so, but there is still have El Monte PD and Monterey PD which are all in digital that has some good stuff. You have Whittier PD still in the clear. Alhambra PD is still in the clear too.

You also have LAPD and LAFD and all of LA County Sheriff's and Fire to listen too. Plus Glendora backs up to the foothills so you have the Angeles National Forest and USFS to listen too.

Just make sure you have a good antenna and I would put one up on your roof so you can pull in some distant signals from far.

Thank you for that. I'm actually moving to Idaho in July and hoping the area I move to is able to be monitored. I will look into making sure I am scanning the agencies you mentioned.

SCPD

QRT
That's fantastic. I spent over $300 on a paperweight, Iike I said before. :(

That's what I get for NOT doing my due diligence beforehand.

Don't worry!, it's money well spent as the 996/996P2 are fantastic scanners and not paperweights. Even though your PD in encrypted there is still many things to scan. Let's say you checked and the agency was listed in the clear. You go and buy the scanner and a week later they go encrypted. Nothing you can about that, it happens. Many times there is no warning that they go ENC and some of them try to be sneaky about it not letting the cat out of the bag.

krazybob

I don't think that's his point. Unknowingly, he purchased a scanner that's not capable of listening to what he wants to hear. Orange County, Riverside County, San Bernardino County, and soon Los Angeles County will all be encrypted. That means the only thing left to listen to will be fire and those few police departments that aren't on the LA County system or ICIS. He can listen to CHP but who's to say what they're going to do in the future. Fortunately, I listen primarily to fire. There's plans to even encrypt those. It was inevitable. But as one police expert said he doesn't know of a single terrorist or crime in progress that used a scanner or an app to listen to the police. I know it's been done but it's rare. It kind of makes you wonder why Homeland Security feels that it's such a major issue.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

allend

Premium Subscriber
I don't think that's his point. Unknowingly, he purchased a scanner that's not capable of listening to what he wants to hear. Orange County, Riverside County, San Bernardino County, and soon Los Angeles County will all be encrypted. That means the only thing left to listen to will be fire and those few police departments that aren't on the LA County system or ICIS. He can listen to CHP but who's to say what they're going to do in the future. Fortunately, I listen primarily to fire. There's plans to even encrypt those. It was inevitable. But as one police expert said he doesn't know of a single terrorist or crime in progress that used a scanner or an app to listen to the police. I know it's been done but it's rare. It kind of makes you wonder why Homeland Security feels that it's such a major issue.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Just remember "We the People". We have no say so as tax payers what's best for our community anymore. We have lost our fighting power but honestly who really cares anymore. Just fly under the radar and stock pile your cash

An empire has to completely fall before it can be re-built the proper way. Its just a matter of time until all of these systems fail because of the poor decisions that these dictators feel is best to not be transparent when emergencies happen in our community. O well

Status
Not open for further replies.