Please help selctintg Uniden Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

McK46

Premium Subscriber
I am getting back into Radio Scanning and I am looking to buy either the Uniden BCD996XT or the Home Patrol-1. I would like input from some owners of either unit. If you think there is another unit that is better, I am open to suggestions. Thank you in advance for your help.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
I would suggest you take a look at the threads in the Uniden column on here and see what people say about each scanner. There are pluses and minuses for both. I have the handheld version of the 996 and love it. I also have the radio shack pro 106 that I also love.

So much of this is personal preference. What one person likes may be what someone else hates. Take some time and read what people say are the problems with each scanner. In some ways, I think the 996 might give you a little more freedom to set things up to your own liking. I have no working knowledge of the home patrol.

McK46

Premium Subscriber
Thanks

Thank you for your prompt reply, I have been doing a lot of research on both scanners. However, there is nothing like getting information from someone who owns one. Thanks again.

mciupa

Canadian Database Admin
I happen to own both. I keep the 996XT at home as a base unit. I program it using Freescan and have a premium membership here at RR.

The HomePatrol-1 is my mobile/handheld. I have also upgraded with Extreme features and enjoy using the Trunk Discovery mode to map LCN's and new talkgroups.

If you only want to be a casual user and not learn the intricacies of programming, then the HomePatrol may be what you need.
You only need to upload a new version of the whole RR database with HomePatrol Sentinel software to keep current, you can do this weekly.

If you want to learn advanced features and customize your scanner then the XT may be a better choice.
You could make changes to your programming on the spot.

Both retail around $500 or less if you search around. The extreme upgrade for HomePatrol will add an extra $99.

McK46

Premium Subscriber
BCD996XT or Home Patrol-1

Thank you very much for the info. The more I research the more it looks like the BCD996XT is the model I prefer. I will continue to do my research. I hope I can talk to you after I buy my scanner. Thanks again.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
Thank you very much for the info. The more I research the more it looks like the BCD996XT is the model I prefer. I will continue to do my research. I hope I can talk to you after I buy my scanner. Thanks again.

I own the 396XT and have found it to be a fine scanner!

Status
Not open for further replies.