Please help with a uniden bc355n scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

FDNozzleman

Hello, I recently purchased this scanner and it works great with the PD frequencies. I tune into the FD/EMS frequencies and I do not hear any audio, only a loud screeching sound. I know I have the right channel but I dont know if I am missing a step. Please let me know if you can help, I am not very familiar with the operations of these devices. Thank you for your help in advance. - One of Chicago's Bravest

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Hello, I recently purchased this scanner and it works great with the PD frequencies. I tune into the FD/EMS frequencies and I do not hear any audio, only a loud screeching sound. I know I have the right channel but I dont know if I am missing a step. Please let me know if you can help, I am not very familiar with the operations of these devices. Thank you for your help in advance. - One of Chicago's Bravest
Chicago Fire dispatch and EMS dispatch are P25 digital.

Fire ground, TAC, Lakefront and Operations channels are conventional analog

Chicago Police are convential analog

The BC355n can not decode P25 digital, it can only receive convential analog signals

FDNozzleman

Chicago Fire dispatch and EMS dispatch are P25 digital.

Fire ground, TAC, Lakefront and Operations channels are conventional analog

Chicago Police are convential analog

The BC355n can not decode P25 digital, it can only receive convential analog signals

Thank you @donc13 is there anything I can do to be able to use this device for the CFD Frequency? I can no longer return the device

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
donc13 said it all! The fire/EMS dispatch are not monitorable with the 355N...I hope someone didn't sell it to you claiming it could!!!!
You might go ahead and move your question to the Illinois forum, where someone could help you find the appropriate scanner and maybe even help with programming!!!!!

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
You should hold onto it, as it does CPD well and FD save for dispatch. And it will do air traffic control at O'hare or Midway if that interests you!
look for a scanner that will do P25 and run them both. You'll find that the more is really the merrier in scanning!!!

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Thank you @donc13 is there anything I can do to be able to use this device for the CFD Frequency? I can no longer return the device
You would need a different scanner to receive FD and EMS dispatch. There is no modification you can do to your scanner. I see someone else suggested keeping your current scanner for use with Chicago PD only. Obviously, that depends on your budget, desk space, significant other and so forth.

Any scanner that does P25 phase II (which means it also does phase I) will work for listening to CFD & EMS dispatch. There are some good bargains on used radios at various dealers or eBay. I know Bearcatwarehouse.com sells used scanners (tested and working) you might want to talk to them or browse eBay. I, personally, would talk to Bearcat Warehouse because they will know what you will need and can even pre-program it for you (for a fee).

And NO, I have zero affiliation with them other than I bought my SDS200 from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.