Please HELP with BCD996XT Special Keys

Status
Not open for further replies.

elfaure

As outlined in the TWiki UnidenMan4 Web manual, under Key Operation in Scan (or Search) Mode, third bullet down:

Function+Turn Scroll Knob to select a system+Function to select a system. The scanner starts scanning at the systen you select here.

I was playing with this function, and after doing so, my Startup Key configuation changed. All the systems I selected got unlocked for the Startup Key configuration I booted from. After restarting the scanner in the same Startup Key configuration as the last boot, the scanner was scanning all of the service and custom searches I was playing with.

Can someone explain further the intended function of these special keys when used in both scan and search mode and specifically related to Startup Key configuation and unintended modification??

Last edited:

teufler

not sure what that does, I use number key assignments to jump to any system or conventional frequency I want to. You arrive at the same outcome and its much handier. Startup key assignment, limited to the available numbers that you can use. Number key assignment, much greater. look up number key assignment in Marks scanner pages.

elfaure

BCD996XTScanMode < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

Note: After Function + Scroll to select a system, you must press Function again to actually select the new system and begin scanning that system. The Twiki doesn't tell you that but if you don't press Function again after selecting the new system, it will not scan the new system and will return to scanning whatever you were scanning before you pressed the special keys.

Last edited:

elfaure

Ok I think I figured this out. From Marks Scanners Eassier-to-Read BCD996XT/P2 web manual, under the Startup Key section:

When you use startup configuration, the scanner checks all (unlocked) systems, sites, and search ranges and:
1. All systems, sites, or search ranges that do not have a startup key assigned will be scanned the way they were when you last turned off the scanner.
2. All systems, sites, or search ranges that have a startup key assigned to the one you pressed will be unlocked.
3. All systems, sites, or search ranges that have a different startup key assigned will be locked out.
4. The scanner will remember the last startup configuration you used when you power up the scanner using just the power key.

So the scenario is you startup with Startup Key 1 which contains only unlocked systems but no unlocked searches. Then you play with the Key Operation in Scan, Function Mode key. You press Function (but do not latch it), then you scroll to a Service Search (or any selection that doesnt have any Starup Key defined) and press Function again to select it and begin to scan it. What the manuals don't tell you is that you have just unlocked that Service Search (or whatever you selected). I guess is pretty obvious if you think about it, otherwise it wouldnt be scanning your selection. Now you power down your scanner and restart with Startup Key 1 again. Since there is no Startup Key assigned to the Service Search you unlocked in the last session, Rule 1 applies and the Service Search remains unlocked for subsequent Startup Key 1 restarts, which is counter-intuitive to me for a Starup configuration intent, but apparantly how the scanner works.

I thought a Startup Key configuration was a safe way to "play with the scanner" and if I got stuck, just reboot again into that Startup Key and everything would be set back to the way it was. I find its also quite useful to setup one configuration for home and another for work (if you dont have the GPS). That's not the case if you unlock any System/Site/Search that doesn't have any Starup Key defined as the scanner "remembers" what was unlocked during the previous session even when using Starup Keys for subsequent restarts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.