Please help.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjcleve04

Premium Subscriber
Hello, we just had everything here in Sioux City iowa go encryption except for EMS and fire but I can't seem to have them come in since we went encryption. I have a Uniden Home Patrol 2 and I have spent a lot of money for this and I am looking for someone to please help me? Also, if anyone can assist I would greatly appreciate it.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Hello, we just had everything here in Sioux City iowa go encryption except for EMS and fire but I can't seem to have them come in since we went encryption. I have a Uniden Home Patrol 2 and I have spent a lot of money for this and I am looking for someone to please help me? Also, if anyone can assist I would greatly appreciate it.

When was the last time you updated the database?

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Unfortunately there is not much that the average RadioReference user can do to help you. It looks like the old radio system (Siouxland Tri-State Area Radio Communications (STARCOMM)) was merged into the Iowa Statewide Interoperable Communications System (ISICS) a couple of months ago. The big problem is that no one has submitted any information needed for you to monitor. Until that happens, you will not be able to listen to Sioux City.

You could potentially try to identify this information yourself, but it would require some understanding of the system and the Extreme Upgrade for the HP-2.

I would suggest having your thread moved to the Iowa Radio Discussion Forum in order to get the attention of local users so that they can help update the database for your area. You can do this using the report button ( ) located at the top right of your original post.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Spitfire typed a little quicker :lol:

Did they move to the statewide system, ISICS?

I see comments on your county's database page that Sioux City moved to that system. However, looking at the ISICS page, while I see a site in your county, there are no talkgroups listed. Was it a recent change? It appears that nothing has been submitted to the database as yet, or at least it has not been updated to show talkgroups specifically for your county.

What you may need to do is append the system to a Favorites list, then set it for ID Search. That will show any active talkgroups on the system. Then, you can listen to see if you can pinpoint which ones are correct for your county, then submit them to the database, so that the database for the HP-2 is updated.

Without the Extreme Upgrade, you cannot directly change the system to ID Search on the scanner itself. However, it can be done in Sentinel, then write the updated Favorites list to the scanner.

jjcleve04

Premium Subscriber
Oh thank you so much for the reply. You have no idea but I am a tech dummy when it comes to this. :( we did get encrypted about 3 months ago. Can't get cops or anything. I would pay to get the police back. I am a super serious avid listener and this is driving me bonkers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Oh thank you so much for the reply. You have no idea but I am a tech dummy when it comes to this. :( we did get encrypted about 3 months ago. Can't get cops or anything. I would pay to get the police back. I am a super serious avid listener and this is driving me bonkers.

Nothing will receive encrypted channels, but you can get anything that is NOT encrypted. Just create a Favorites list with the new system, and set it to ID Search. If you need help doing that, just ask.

jjcleve04

Premium Subscriber
Nothing will receive encrypted channels, but you can get anything that is NOT encrypted. Just create a Favorites list with the new system, and set it to ID Search. If you need help doing that, just ask.

Yes, I will need help with this I am sorry. Can you please help me?

paulmohr

If you are talking about woodbury county the database doesn't even list anything as encrypted. I guess it could be and it just isn't noted, but most of the stuff I have seen with encryption the data base notes it.

It is P25 II, but the home patrol II should handle that.

Did you just suddenly lose all your signals, or did you make any changes and then you couldn't get anything anymore?

What does it do if you scan for services or weather stations?

You could also try programming in some frequencies manually and see what happens.

It also might help if you let the guys know what county, and what agencies you are trying to receive. And if you have made any changes to the software or programming to the scanner that may have effected it. If it just worked one day, and didn't the next without you changing anything that is kind of odd.

***edit****

These guys gave you a lot of answers while I was looking up your county and typing lol. Most of what I said probably doesn't apply. Other than giving a specific county and agencies you want to listen too always helps narrow things down.

Last edited:

jjcleve04

Premium Subscriber
I still have everything in my favorites list that I had before. I have Woodbury, starcomm. Etc... when they went encrypted I don't get anything for EMS for Sioux City or fire for Sioux City which I am told I should still get those. It even says that on radio ref that it's not encrypted. I had to send in my scanner to uniden as the USB port went down and they had to replace it.

So, yesterday I did the update for the software and thought maybe EMS and fire would kick on and still not a thing. I will clarify thou I do still get EMS for Woodbury. Just not Sioux City and they were on starcomm.

What a great help you are. Hope this clarifies some. Thanks :))

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I still have everything in my favorites list that I had before. I have Woodbury, starcomm. Etc... when they went encrypted I don't get anything for EMS for Sioux City or fire for Sioux City which I am told I should still get those. It even says that on radio ref that it's not encrypted. I had to send in my scanner to uniden as the USB port went down and they had to replace it.

So, yesterday I did the update for the software and thought maybe EMS and fire would kick on and still not a thing. I will clarify thou I do still get EMS for Woodbury. Just not Sioux City and they were on starcomm.

What a great help you are. Hope this clarifies some. Thanks :))

See the attached file. The file is zipped (compressed) to meet forum requirements.

Save the file to your PC. Then open it with a file utility such as WinZip or the free 7-Zip to access Sioux City.hpe.

In Sentinel, click on
File
Then select Import from .hpe file.

Import the file into Sentinel on your PC, either to a new Favorites list, or to an existing one. I have your county conventional liostings in one system. The other system is for ISICS. It has the site in your county, and is set to ID Search, with a dummy talkgroup in a department.

As you run ID Search, you'll get whatever talkgroups are active on that site. I would suggest that you set the scanner to record, so that you can review them later, and by listening to a group of them for the same talkgroup ID, start trying to establish who is using it.

Attachments

• Sioux City.zip
    988 bytes · Views: 12

jjcleve04

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for sending this. I think I am close but still no EMS for Sioux City. Any other tips or something I can try? Thanks again!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thank you for sending this. I think I am close but still no EMS for Sioux City. Any other tips or something I can try? Thanks again!

If EMS has moved to the trunked system, you may just have to keep an eye on it until you find the new talkgroups. You did not indicate whether you had the Extreme Upgrade. If you do, then you could run the Discovery Mode. However, if you turn recording on for everything, and leave the scanner on the ISICS system, you would accomplish pretty much the same thing. Pull the recordings, sort them by talkgroup ID, then listen to a batch to see if you can nail down the usage.

What you might do is request that your thread be moved to the Iowa forum, so that, hopefully, someone in your vicinity has a little more information. If you want to do that, do not create a new thread in the Iowa Forum. That's considered cross-posting (having threads for the same issue in more than one forum). Instead, click on the red outlined triangle in the upper right corner of one of your posts. That's to 'report' a thread, and will bring up a comments box on what is needed. There, just ask that a moderator move your thread to the state forum for more local visibility.

I took a quick look at licenses, and did not see anything new that caught my attention. Not to say another license is impossible, but I did not note one.

Status
Not open for further replies.