Please prove me wrong..

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
For all of sds200 touted simulcast receive that it can do, the one task it cannot do is receive a single talkaround frequency in the SAME scan list as a trunked talkgroup. Prove me wrong please...

My local fire department has some high rise building that don’t receive the trunked radio system very well even on their portables, so they go to talkaround 1 (analog frequency). This is just a few clicks on the portables.

You can’t currently add an analog frequency to the SAME scan list as trs talkgroup can you? Please prove me wrong!

belvdr

No longer interested in living
For all of sds200 touted simulcast receive that it can do, the one task it cannot do is receive a single talkaround frequency in the SAME scan list as a trunked talkgroup. Prove me wrong please...

My local fire department has some high rise building that don’t receive the trunked radio system very well even on their portables, so they go to talkaround 1 (analog frequency). This is just a few clicks on the portables.

You can’t currently add an analog frequency to the SAME scan list as trs talkgroup can you? Please prove me wrong!
What do you mean by "scan list"? Do you mean a favorites list or a profile? If so, I have that going now in a profile, with separate favorite lists for aviation, two separate trunked systems, GMRS, FRS, and CB.

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
Yes sorry a favorites list. So basically a favorites list with a trunked radio talkgroup in the SAME list as a analog frequency

tvengr

Well Known Member
Create a separate conventional system in the same favorites list, enter the talkaround frequency or frequencies in that conventional system, and scan both the trunked and conventional systems. You can turn each system on and off by assigning quick keys.

Last edited:

garys

Premium Subscriber
You can mix conventional and trunked in Favorites Lists, but not in Systems. So, you'd need to have a Trunked System and a Conventional System under the same FL.

It's one of the few things that the GRE/RS/Whistler scanners do better with Object Oriented Scanning than Uniden does with DMA.

Depending on how much you scan, you could put the FD trunked and conventional systems under the same Favorites List, but as separate Systems.

I have a Favorite List for the state of Maine. In it, I have a DMR trunk system, Portland public Safety Trunk, statewide trunk, and a conventional system. It takes a bit of getting used to, but it works quite well.

Ubbe

If that talk around frequency are only used with that talkgroup, or it was a pure analog channel not used for any other services, then you can enter that in any conventional analog system and set priority to it and it will be monitored whenever it gets active, and it can be avoided at any time if needed. If you set that frequencys audio type to digital it will decode any digital mode.

/Ubbe

ScubaJungle

Yes you can, as others have said.
SEntinel - go to said favorites list
-Edit Favorites List
-click green "+" symbol
-a dropdown menu will appear - select 'conventional"
-add frequency and set a department name so it shows up in your FL.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'm in the same situation as you are, a talkaround/simplex frequency to use when there are dead spots for the trunked system. I did just as mentioned above - create a conventional system in the same Favorites List as the trunked system is located.

I also use a Number Tagging method to help me rapidly access the correct channels. That way with a series of button presses, I can get to whichever channel is needed without scrolling through all the channels.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Note that "talkaround" frequencies are NOT part of a TRS; they are bypassing the radio infrastructure when used. They are usually simplex channels that communicate directly with other radios on the same channel, and many FDs use them for local Fireground / tactical comms. Since they are not part of the TRS, they need to be programmed as a separate "system." If you have other simplex freqs, or other miscellaneous channels you want to monitor, these can also be included. Bottom line, this is not really an issue with the SDS200, and can be easily monitored with logical / efficient programming of the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.