Please reccomend an antenna to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc8qln

I wish buy an omni -direction antenna for general scanning, and I have the following circumstances

My budget is about $100

It needs to mount to a vertical 3" PVC pipe that will be attached to my house, just above my roof line.

It also has to be light enough to not cause stress on the mounting of the 3" pipe. In other words it should be light enough where additonal support is not needed.

Thanks in advance

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
For listening to all the action, I really recommend a Diamond or Icom discone antenna, fed with LMR 400 or Belden 9913 low-loss coax. The thicker coax does wonders when it comes to helping prevent signal loss on the higher frequencies. This way, you can use one wideband antenna to catch all the action, especially up on the 700/800 MHz bands. However, you may have to extend your budget to $200.00.

73's

Ron

SCPD

QRT
safetyobc said:
I like the Scantenna.

I use mine with my BR330T, BCT15 and BCD396T. It is an excellent wideband antenna and very inexpensive.

matt

I second the Scantenna. I have one and it's great for use with my PCR1000 and BCD996T. I think I paid about $50 and mounted it on a 1" mask.

MacombMonitor

He's probably planning to mount it to a vent pipe. Radio Shack sells such a mount, Cat. No. 15-893 @ $7.97/ea. It will fit 2~5" diameter pipes.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 280

gcgrotz

There you go MacombMonitor! I used such an arrangement for 6 years at my previous house with the A/S Mon?? antenna (don't know the number). It survived many 40-50 mph thunderstorm gusts. It was fed with LMR400. My only concession to the vent pipe mount
was that I cut the tv mast section down to about 3ft.

I think most residential vents are 2" these days so it could be an apartment or commercial. There used to be a company (I think they are still around) making a thing called the ventenna which fit directly over a vent pipe and was very stealthy. Under $100 too. Try www.ventenna.com Some are reviewed on eham.

buffalogoat

Just an FYI... Regular "white" PVC pipe does not hold up well to exposure to sun & extreme temps. It's designed primarily for cold water, indoor plumbing. If you must use PVC, I suggest using "grey" sunlight resistant pipe. It will last alot longer outside.

Last edited:

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
I have had a Scantenna on the roof where I work for a couple of months now.... half a dozen nasty thunderstorms right over the building and she still pulls in the signals.... only thing I have done was bend one of the radials back to the orignal configuration... make sure you wrap your connections well to keep the water out.

Al42

unitcharlie said:
I have had a Scantenna on the roof where I work for a couple of months now.... half a dozen nasty thunderstorms right over the building and she still pulls in the signals.... only thing I have done was bend one of the radials back to the orignal configuration
Radials? On a dipole?

Status
Not open for further replies.