Please tell me I am wrong about Greene Co.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackcf

I have Uniden BCT15-X and have been using it to monitor Greene Co., Xenia, Beavercreek, Montgomery Co., Dayton and it's surrounding communities police and fire.

It's my understanding that all of Greene County has moved to the Ohio wide MARCS system which explains why I can can longer receive those broadcasts because MARCS is digital and the BCT15-X is only analog.

Is my understanding correct?

When is the Montgomery Co and Dayton going to move to MARCS? When and if it does then will my receiver useless too me.

I'm also assuming that the BCT15-X cannot be updated via a firmware update to receive digital which means I will be stuck with an expensive paper weight.

Is that assumption correct?

If so what alternative radios would you suggest I look at to replace the one I have now.

Last edited by a moderator:

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I have Uniden BCT15-X and have been using it to monitor Greene Co., Xenia, Beavercreek, Montgomery Co., Dayton and it's surrounding communities police and fire.

It's my understanding that all of Greene County has moved to the Ohio wide MARCS system which explains why I can can longer receive those broadcasts because MARCS is digital and the BCT15-X is only analog.

Is my understanding correct?

Correct.

When is the Montgomery Co and Dayton going to move to MARCS? When and if it does then will my receiver useless too me.

Unknown, but the issue is being studied at this time; there is no guarantee that Montgomery County/Dayton will go to MARCS, they could easily elect to purchase their own system (unlikely from a cost standpoint). Either way, I would expect they'll at least start the migration within the next 2-3 years since their existing systems will no longer be serviceable due to obsolescence as of sometime in 2016. Other owners of similar systems are already buying up spare parts on eBay and other sources to give themselves a little extra time.

I'm also assuming that the BCT15-X cannot be updated via a firmware update to receive digital which means I will be stuck with an expensive paper weight.

Is that assumption correct?

Correct, but I wouldn't call it a paperweight. It will still receive aviation, business and other services (including public safety) still using analog radios.

If so what alternative radios would you suggest I look at to replace the one I have now.

Uniden BCD396T/XT, BCD996T/XT, HomePatrol, and the new models soon to be released.

GRE PSR500/600 and Radio Shack Pro106/197.

Possibly a couple of others I may have missed.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
paperweight

I agree to a certain point. I know of no one who wants to listen to avaiation or business class, the local ambulance company, tow trucks, walmart and McDonalds communication. Its Police Fire and all the public safety. Nice try To to make it sound like it has value. Its like my Old Bearcat III Ive invested Dollars in Crystals over the years, only to find them outadted and tossed in the trash even with crystal even obtainable anymore , why???
Over the years Ive owned several dozen scanners when everyone was High band and you could field program yourself in a heartbeat. Now if you want to hear city XYZ in yahooTown, you need an instruction book just to figure it out, and as an older scanner listener, the learning curve is almost too high to acknowledge. Most of us don't do this type work for a living, its a hobby. To make it sound as though the hobby is becoming too expensive is wrong. the average JOE won't or can't afford to keep upgrading. These radios are like the old radar detectors used to be.
Sorry but you're Bearcat is relagated to having served its life for you, be lucky if you can find a user who is willing to buy it. I intend to sell my BC 396 and 996 XT when the new models become available to offset the costs. But as a retired individual I figure thses next will be the last I'm going to be able to understand and maybe even be able to listen to. With all the requirements the FCC and radio companies are making standard, we are lucky tha scanner people are even able to come up withan eqivalent receiver for a five THOUSAND dolar portable radio.
MARCS is the future, costs are too prohibitive, if taxpayers are even informed of a pending purchase. We need to be vigilant and not let radio communication out of our reach and monitor ability, at teh request of a few paranoid individuals who don't want anyone hearing what is said. TWO cents, PLEASE!!

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Listening

There are may of us who like listening to other services, including railroads, malls. fast food, etc. Some of the conversations are much more entertaining than the normal public service traffic.

awattam

I agree to a certain point. I know of no one who wants to listen to avaiation or business class, the local ambulance company, tow trucks, walmart and McDonalds communication.

Let me introduce myself, my name is Al and I like to listen to the above services.

There now you know one person.

To the OP, solder in a discriminator tap to the circuit board of your BCT15x (its really easy) and then download DSD or DSD plus and you might hear some digital broadcasts. Its not as good as a digital scanner but then again it wont cost you $450 plus.

SCPD

QRT
in comparison to listening to fire and police for over thirty years, I could not imagine anywhere near as much, but to each your own. Sorry for the generalization

jackcf

To the OP, solder in a discriminator tap to the circuit board of your BCT15x (its really easy) and then download DSD or DSD plus and you might hear some digital broadcasts. Its not as good as a digital scanner but then again it wont cost you $450 plus.

I have no idea what you are talking about but thanks anyway.

w8prr

Premium Subscriber
BCT15X

After years of sitting at a console dispatching police and fire calls, I love to listen to other things.
I'm fairly close and will be happy to buy your 15x for a fair price, contact me off list.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I agree to a certain point. I know of no one who wants to listen to avaiation or business class, the local ambulance company, tow trucks, walmart and McDonalds communication. Its Police Fire and all the public safety. Nice try To to make it sound like it has value. Its like my Old Bearcat III Ive invested Dollars in Crystals over the years, only to find them outadted and tossed in the trash even with crystal even obtainable anymore , why???
Over the years Ive owned several dozen scanners when everyone was High band and you could field program yourself in a heartbeat. Now if you want to hear city XYZ in yahooTown, you need an instruction book just to figure it out, and as an older scanner listener, the learning curve is almost too high to acknowledge. Most of us don't do this type work for a living, its a hobby. To make it sound as though the hobby is becoming too expensive is wrong. the average JOE won't or can't afford to keep upgrading. These radios are like the old radar detectors used to be.
Sorry but you're Bearcat is relagated to having served its life for you, be lucky if you can find a user who is willing to buy it. I intend to sell my BC 396 and 996 XT when the new models become available to offset the costs. But as a retired individual I figure thses next will be the last I'm going to be able to understand and maybe even be able to listen to. With all the requirements the FCC and radio companies are making standard, we are lucky tha scanner people are even able to come up withan eqivalent receiver for a five THOUSAND dolar portable radio.
MARCS is the future, costs are too prohibitive, if taxpayers are even informed of a pending purchase. We need to be vigilant and not let radio communication out of our reach and monitor ability, at teh request of a few paranoid individuals who don't want anyone hearing what is said. TWO cents, PLEASE!!

I beg to differ. I enjoy listening to aviation, railroads, some businesses, and I know a number of other people who do as well.

As to your assertion that digital costs are too prohibitive, you're only seeing one part of the picture. Cost is not the only factor at work (greater operational flexibility and interoperability among others), but for many agencies it's more cost-effective to pay a monthly fee to use someone else's much more capable system, than to spend the considerable sum needed to purchase, install and maintain a local system of comparable quality, capability and flexibility.

In the end, "monitorability" simply isn't a consideration for most public safety agencies. Personnel safety, operational capabilities and interoperability are what matter.

jackcf

After years of sitting at a console dispatching police and fire calls, I love to listen to other things.
I'm fairly close and will be happy to buy your 15x for a fair price, contact me off list.

I sent you a message a couple of days ago. Did you get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.