PLEASE VOTE NOW on MPD encryption!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeyC

From the article:

"Chief Lanier points to recent smart phone technology that allows anyone to scan officers’ radio transmissions. Yes, there's an app for that."

more evidence for the naysayers...

SkyPager

' "Chief Lanier points to recent smart phone technology that allows anyone to scan officers’ radio transmissions. Yes, there's an app for that."

more evidence for the naysayers... '

So if I have a mobile laptop and an aircard I can log on to RR and access a live feed. How is that different?

JokeInsurance

' "Chief Lanier points to recent smart phone technology that allows anyone to scan officers’ radio transmissions. Yes, there's an app for that."

So if I have a mobile laptop and an aircard I can log on to RR and access a live feed. How is that different?

She is just trying to save us money. Why else would she suggest that? :p

JoeyC

No difference. Point being, that streaming is contributing to the destruction of the hobby. :mad:

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
Or streaming is contributing to the widespread expansion of the hobby.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
Poll results as of 24 Sept 2011

Citing public safety, MPD wants to encrypt its radios so the public can’t monitor its communications. Should the public be allowed to monitor police scanners?

Yes 74.47% (423 votes)

No 22.71% (129 votes)

Other: 2.82% (16 votes)

Total Votes: 568
Comments (0) Return To PollShare ThisCreate Your Own Poll

W2NJS

You all are making the false assumption that what the public wants will influence the policy of any DC agency. What a joke that is. I've lived in DC for 33 years and I know how unresponsive and self-serving the DC government is, so don't hold your breath until they discontinue encrypting their police comms, or most of them.

JoeyC

Poll results as of 24 Sept 2011

Citing public safety, MPD wants to encrypt its radios so the public can’t monitor its communications. Should the public be allowed to monitor police scanners?

Yes 74.47% (423 votes)

No 22.71% (129 votes)

Other: 2.82% (16 votes)

Total Votes: 568
Comments (0) Return To PollShare ThisCreate Your Own Poll

This poll makes absolutely NO sense. The public is not being denied the ability to monitor police scanners. Who writes this crap? :lol::lol:

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
What needs to be done, is to setup a Twitter Feed that capitalizes on this...DCPDWatch, or something like that....have people tweet every time they see a police cruiser, with location and unit number....make them realize that the feeds are generally innocuous compared to what could happen.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
No difference. Point being, that streaming is contributing to the destruction of the hobby. :mad:

I have to agree. Streaming weather, fire or EMS is one thing, but I do not think that streaming law enforcement is a good move. When someone only looks out for themselves and to putting money in their pockets, they don't care.

On the other hand, if the police do not want the public hearing sensitive communications, they should not use the regular dispatch channel/freq/TG. Instead, use a secure channel/freq/TG that uses a good encryption or use Nextel direct-connect or cellphones or laptops (if equipped).

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber

I couldn't agree more. Previously, monitoring police communications was limited to someone who wanted to take the time spend money on a scanner, find the frequencies and talkgroups, and then make a hair-pulling effort to get it programmed. These things limited the amount of scanner users out there.

Now, all someone has to do is download an app or visit our beloved website to do it. It's no wonder law enforcement wants to go encrypted on everything! I don't support it either, but I sure understand why some agencies are doing it.

Furthermore, I don't believe that streaming is helping spread the hobby in any way - it's only giving the law enforcement agencies the fuel they need to encrypt.

Last edited:

scanningisfun

the feeds originate from radioreference. Why can't they stay on radioreference? You should also have to have an account.

FFEMTCURRENCE

Premium Subscriber
we spent what 500 bucks for a digital scanner....now your smart phone can listen not costing as much...what good does a 500 buck scanner do when everything is going to the encryption side and you cant hear crap...i dont know its just annoying that officials go overkill on some of these things

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
honestly how in the hell can you truly use a scanner app to evade law enforcement, there is a delay, you do not know where the units are responding from, there is alot more than just the apps making them encrypt, and FCC/Homeland security mandate is not one of them, (a call was made and that issue was shot down) lets call it for what it is, law enforcement wants to control the flow of information that the public receives, this is a win win for them, nothing negative gets out, i think its more for image currently than the rise of a police state yet, its not so much about the criminals listening, but people with cameras listening and photographing arrests that could result in liability for the departments

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSsGrIf8F0M (i can do whatever i want)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45-4qeSeo9I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjPA-tQWutQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAyOicwt1aY

now here is a positive police reaction to being filmed - doing it the right way
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1pw2Ipo8Ns&feature=related

Last edited:

scanningisfun

honestly how in the hell can you truly use a scanner app to evade law enforcement, there is a delay, you do not know where the units are responding from, there is alot more than just the apps making them encrypt, and FCC/Homeland security mandate is not one of them, (a call was made and that issue was shot down) lets call it for what it is, law enforcement wants to control the flow of information that the public receives, this is a win win for them, nothing negative gets out, i think its more for image currently than the rise of a police state yet, its not so much about the criminals listening, but people with cameras listening and photographing arrests that could result in liability for the departments

Cop Puts Cameraman In Chokehold for Filming Peaceful Protest - YouTube (i can do whatever i want)
Officer Arrests Reporter at Crash Scene - YouTube
News Cameraman Arrested At Scene Of House Fire News footage - YouTube
Orlando police arrest news camera man - YouTube

now here is a positive police reaction to being filmed - doing it the right way
Model OPD Officer and Copwatcher Come to Meeting of the Minds. [HD] - YouTube

I agree with this. i broadcast a feed and there is a 20-30 second delay. That is huge in terms of knowing where a unit is.

Status
Not open for further replies.