plectron recivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsvensven

I have a very old Plectron, like the ones described in this article. The model is R719 and the year on the back is 1975. This receiver is better than any of my scanners. I am interested in getting a second similar receiver.

How rare are these old plectron receivers? How much would one go for if I found it at a hamfest or somewhere else?

Where do I get crystals?

I live only a couple hundred feet from the transmitter of the frequency I want to monitor. Is it possible that the reciever will overload if I attach it to an giant antenna?

Are there any other good receivers that are as sensitive? I don't need the tone alert or anything like that.

Thanks for the assistance.

Last edited:

mrsvensven

fire-rick said:
what freq are you looking for?
Northbridge MA, on 33.68. If I can find some cheap enough, I might look for 33.96 crystals as well. I have not spent a great amount of time looking for a receiver, I am just trying to find out how rare/expensive they are, so if I see one at a hamfest or on ebay I might get it. I do not have a huge budget for this either, I am just looking around.

Last edited:

W9NES

Plectron Receivers

I own (4) of them on VHF and you are right they are better than any scanners.You can still get crystals from International Cyrstal Manufacturing for the plecton.All you need to tell them is the Model number and the brand of reciever you have along with the frequency you need.I have bought from them before and they are very nice people to deal with for crystals.As far as your antenna you should be fine with the antenna that is built into the radio or a plug in antenna in the back of the radio.If you need any further assistance plese feel free to PM me and I will help you as much as I can.You can find these recevers on e-bay and also at Hamfest if they are in good shape for around $10.00 or more.Hope this helps you out.If you need any further assistance plaease feel free to Pm me anytime."My door is always open" Best Requards, Tim DeLong W9NES Indianapolis,Indiana

Last edited:

mrsvensven

W9NES said:
I own (4) of them on VHF and you are right they are better than any scanners.You can still get crystals from International Cyrstal Manufacturing for the plecton.All you need to tell them is the Model number and the brand of reciever you have along with the frequency you need.I have bought from them before and they are very nice people to deal with for crystals.As far as your antenna you should be fine with the antenna that is built into the radio or a plug in antenna in the back of the radio.If you need any further assistance plese feel free to PM me and I will help you as much as I can.You can find these recevers on e-bay and also at Hamfest if they are in good shape for around $10.00 or more.Hope this helps you out.If you need any further assistance plaease feel free to Pm me anytime."My door is always open" Best Requards, Tim DeLong W9NES Indianapolis,Indiana

Great! Do you know if they use standard crystals, or do I need to get crystals specific for the Plectron recievers? I do see a formula in the article linked above for determining the crystal frequencies.

mrsvensven

has anyone used the R500 series? How do they compare to the R700 series?

I may have found some instalert recievers. I am told that these are even older than the Plectrons. A google search turns up little information. Has anyone used these?

lobo8000

W9NES said:
How much does ICM charge to manufacture a crystal? I'm looking for some for a Regency scanner and am not having much luck. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.