Pls help trunking newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

rxonly

Premium Subscriber
Hi, new to trunking, but scanning for many years. Have Pro-197 and want to at least start with NJ state PD.

I think I enter the info. properly, but don't find a way to enter any freqs. except in 'conv.' IS the proper method to enter freqs. in CONV and -then- enter talkgroups whatever using TRUNK after? I've tried, (without using CONV), but got HEAP errors and msg. no tsys entered.

Hope this makes sense, as I can't make much of it...but learning more. I have read and used the wiki and all here plus other sources.

Basically, do you enter freqs. in CONV and then other data in TRUNK?

Thanks for any help

Highpockets

Hi, new to trunking, but scanning for many years. Have Pro-197 and want to at least start with NJ state PD.

I think I enter the info. properly, but don't find a way to enter any freqs. except in 'conv.' IS the proper method to enter freqs. in CONV and -then- enter talkgroups whatever using TRUNK after? I've tried, (without using CONV), but got HEAP errors and msg. no tsys entered.

Hope this makes sense, as I can't make much of it...but learning more. I have read and used the wiki and all here plus other sources.

Basically, do you enter freqs. in CONV and then other data in TRUNK?

Thanks for any help

First off, what part of North Jersey do you live in? Second are you using software to program your scanner, and if so which one?

rxonly

Premium Subscriber
First off, what part of North Jersey do you live in? Second are you using software to program your scanner, and if so which one?

Thanks for reply. Lower Passaic County. No software- doing it manually. It's the Radio Shack Pro-197.

Hope this helps.

Highpockets

Thanks for reply. Lower Passaic County. No software- doing it manually. It's the Radio Shack Pro-197.

Hope this helps.

The best advice I can give you seeing your a Premium Subscriber on RadioReference is to pick up the programming cable and software.

With the software you can import from the database to the software for uploading to your scanner.

I use and like this software (30 day free trial):

Win500: PSR-500, PSR-600, PRO-106, PRO-197, PSR-310, PSR-410 Scanner Software for Data Management, Monitoring, and Control

And here is a Guide that will help with Win500:

WIN500 - UtahRadio

Also if you pick up the cable it will come in handy for updating your scanner when updates come out to make sure you have the latest firmware.

Plus if you use software there may be someone in your area that will send you a file already made up for you to use, or edit, delete or add data.

rxonly

Premium Subscriber
The best advice I can give you seeing your a Premium Subscriber on RadioReference is to pick up the programming cable and software.

Thanks for the tip. But, I have an iMac and won't install conversion software for PC.

Appreciate the response and am sure it's the way to go, however.

We'll keep trying-

Thanks,

Alan

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
I love the suggestion of purchasing another computer to program your scanner with because it works for two things.....

Programming the scanner is a breeze with RR Database downloads and there is always a way to save your configuration for a later date if necessary.

As you get into this "trunk" load of stuff you may find using one of your older scanners to tune the control channels for your area - coupled with the computer and the new 197 is an excellent way to visually see whats happening in your area.......if you've been scanning decades like I have it is absolutely necessary for me to have one hooked up to UniTrunker watching the goings on in the background......

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.