"PlugComputers" (ie SheevaPlug) as Streaming Audio Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarryWilly

I tried searching for this, because I thought someone must have done it before, but alas no luck.

In looking to reduce total space required to operate a computer that does nothing but stream audio to the RR servers, I remembered the SheevaPlug that was announced a ways back.

While some people might be able to find a used desktop with a reasonable amount of power for $99, this seemed like too good of an option to passed up.

For those unaware, the SheevaPlug has a large community behind it (plugcomputer.org) and with good reason. Fitting a x86 1.2gHz machine with 512mb of ram, USB, gigabit ethernet and a flash card reader into something the size of a DC power wall wart makes it seem like a good idea for a way to stream audio from a scanner.

Because these units (can) come with Ubuntu pre-installed on them, I figure it won't be much work to install darkice and start slinging them, but I had a couple questions before I went ahead and ordered one to try it.

Are there good USB audio adapters that work with linux with little to no configuration?

Has anyone installed darkice (or any audio streamer) onto an embedded device over a network. It would be no problem installing it on a device with a GUI (or at least a monitor) but by design this unit has to be configured and controlled via SSH.

Here is the SheevaPlug (what I would want to use):
marvell_sheevaplug_1-480x425.jpg

SCANMUNCIE

Can't help ya with your questions, but would be very interested in if you get it to work..

It sure would save alot of space and could be used for remote locations...

1_slug

Very interesting concept. You should be able to install through command line via ssh. I am not sure what packages would be required. I was looking at this device to use as a print/file on my home network. Not sure how one would get audio to it from a scanner...unless there is some sort of USB based audio input devices?

I think these plug computers are an interesting platform and you are on to something here.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Very interesting... the 99 cent USB soundcard adapters work out of the box in linux. However I've been unable to get multiple ones working without buffer overruns in darkice.

But a $99 computer like that is very interesting...

HarryWilly

Very interesting... the 99 cent USB soundcard adapters work out of the box in linux. However I've been unable to get multiple ones working without buffer overruns in darkice.
That's good to know. Considering the dev kit can ship with Ubuntu 9.04, that starts to simplify the process a bit.

hoser147 said:
Looks like they are trying to get these on the market in the $50 range, from the article in EE Times.
I read that as well.. with the way processors are trending and the stuff linux can be crammed into, you got to wonder if a company would be willing to put a darkice type app on a light linux build in a scanner *cough* upman *cough* At that point you would only need to program what server it is sending the audio to, even through a menu. Then build other network features around the scanner.

Does anyone know how much processor performance is required to run a stereo feed of darkice? I know that is kind of a hard question to answer, but I was looking at installing it into a QNAP NAS, but the problem is I was worried about how that would affect the performance of the NAS's other features - I am not trying to get multiple instances out of this plug, but I would want to know how many I need to order for other features I would want one of these guys to handle :D

Status
Not open for further replies.