• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Pluto No Longer Classified As A Planet

Status
Not open for further replies.

USAPatriot

I hope they didn't use any tax money on this crap. Yet with one fell swoop, they still managed to make obsolete any textbook or software/website...whatever...that says 'planet' instead of 'dwarf planet'. Pluto's orbit didn't change, the universe is the same as it was before these idiots got bored and decided to tinker with it, but someone will have to pay to make all those changes to the books, lesson plans, etc... -Rod-

jrplmil

now lets get politically correct. Its a undeveloped orbiting future planet when it grows up.

Go-24

Pretty sad these geeks have nothing better to do than to get together and vote to demote one of our planets! WTF are they anyway? Do they not understand the huge impact this irrelevant decision is going to have on the real world. What a bunch of idiots!

dangitdoug

I happen to be the only surviving Plutonian in the galaxy. I find it offending that I now have to refer to my home as a "Dwarf Planet". This would never happen to Kal-El. I am very offended by this most idiotic of decisions made by you small-minded, simpleton earthlings.

On Pluto, we welcomed the Greenhouse Effect. We need all the global warming we could get. Instead, were invaded by killer ice cube salesmen from Saturn. They froze all of our pet volcanoes and destroyed our lavish planet.

I hereby declare war on all earthlings!! Please stand by for your destruction. (Now where the hell did I put my army of killer sloths?) Well, you're all in trouble as soon as I find my highly trained geurilla sloths!!

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Pluto, the floating mass of who cares.

THIS JUST IN.​

As reported, Pluto was no longer a plant. Well, now there has been a change, it's now considered a planet. Oh wait, I'm hearing its now a moon. No no, its a...what?, folks they are telling me it's now a giant chunk of ice. Also know as a floating mass of who cares.

Who cares? The ones reading this thread. :lol:

Honesty? The ones who understand the need to understand. :)

THIS JUST IN.​

Meteors are now called falling stars and there are no more classifications to describe Meteors, Meteorites and Meteoroids. :roll:

There is also hard work being done to prove once and for all Atoms are not comprised of Electrons, Protons and Neutrons at all. In fact they are all just... Atoms and that is it nothing more to them.

We now continue your previously interrupted life........

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
Go-24 said:
Pretty sad these geeks have nothing better to do than to get together and vote to demote one of our planets! WTF are they anyway? Do they not understand the huge impact this irrelevant decision is going to have on the real world. What a bunch of idiots!
What makes it even sadder is that there were only around 2,400 attendees at the conference and it wasn't even a smiple... err... simple majority that OKed the danged decision. (From my sources there were a approximately a couple hundred `representatives?' that abstained from the vote! [Funny how much that sounds like another `international organization' we all know and love to hate?]) On top of it all the supposed `main reason' wasn't so much it's diminutive size that got it the boot from `planethood' but, instead it was it's orbit. The next `reason?' `in line' was that "It doesn't affect any of the other planets." and *then* came the `size issue'.

Oh, yeah... BTW The discoverer of Pluto's ashes are part of the `manifest' of a `probe' that was launched earlier this year to examine Pluto. At least, while figuratively, he might be getting the chance to `visit' it he doesn't have to be around to hear all the BS about it not being a planet anymore. Not that it matters all that much for him because of his `necrosis'. {WAN GRIN!} Though I suspect that this might not be a pleasant announcement for his family to deal with. After all, while he was a fairly great astronomer and did a lot of other `great works', the discovery of Pluto was one of his greatest accomplishments and is usually the one that starts out his biography's list of accomplishments.

I don't know if it would work or not but, both of my children came home from school today talking about it and mentioned something about the possibility of there being some sort of petition and letter writing campaign to try and `restore Pluto's planethood'. My daughter even mentioned that one of the reasons that was supposed to be part of the petition and letters *was* the enormous cost this going to bring to schools and other institutions around the world. She, and several other classmates, were even speculating as to whether ot not there might have been some sort of `backroom deal' between the IAU and the text book publishers! (Only 13 and already she's starting to seem to have an idea of how `under the table deals' can occur! [I wonder it it's time to explain `tinfoil hats' to her? {VBW GRIN!} Nah! She already knows about how `radio' works and would probably just end up ROTFLing. {CHORTLE!}]) My son, 9, was more `direct' and was wondering just what Pluto had done to get into `trouble' with the IAU. As far as *he* could tell there wasn't anything much that it could do or have done since it is all the way `out there' and, in his words, the `ninnies' down here were just that, `ninnies' who had too much free time on their hands and should be working on other more important things. I suppose that it wouldn't really hurt for them, and any of us who might also feel similarly, to try to get it changed. It really isn't any worse than, and probably a whole heck of a lot better than more than just a few, other petitions / campaigns out there.

Oh, well... Just an `Olde Fart's' 2¢ worth. {WAN GRIN!}

ReceiverBeaver

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
And I can't even believe this overpaid geek squad isn't familiar with the term ~ planetesimal

Dwarf planet ?? Thats just nuts.

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
I was looking through the yahoo news and reading about this. They had some pics of this "deprived" group. Looks like the "He-Man woman haters club" grew up and hasn't changed.

Sigh.... women change everything :)

rdale

Either we went down to 8 by excluding Pluto, or we went up to 12 by including the three others just like it. Whatever course IAU picked, the textbooks would have needed to be changed. So that "theory" lost a few points...

Halfpint's &concern# about Tombaugh's (family) is overdone as his wife says that he knew !before- his death that Pluto wasn't a =real+ planet and would lose it's status |eventually.}

Choosing the path most on this thread would have apparently voted for - burying your head in the sand - just isn't the way intelligent people work. They had to do something.

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
I agree change is a' commin. Just seems like some petty stuff to me... I was reading that one of the major points about Pluto's exclusion was that its orbit overlaps Neptune's orbit, therefore "disqualifying" it. LOL It just amazes me how people can figure this stuff out. I'm just a bear of very little brain somedays. Ha ha

rdale

"I was reading that one of the major points about Pluto's exclusion was that its orbit overlaps Neptune's orbit, therefore "disqualifying" it."

Correct, if it doesn't have it's own orbit it shouldn't be a planet...

flyingwolf

Well its not like the damn planet has a push rope attached to it and is being yanked around the galaxy by Neptune now is it?

Oh well, millions of people dying daily, but at least we know the status of a "mass" millions and millions of miles away.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Quarks do exist! lol

flyingwolf said:
Oh well, millions of people dying daily, but at least we know the status of a "mass" millions and millions of miles away.

Death is a pretty broad subject line tangled with stupidity. (war) and other human errors. (aids etc.) <--IMO less "nature cause".

But I must say there is no work being done within the medical community regarding cancer etc. :roll:

There is a mass of clouds right now near Jamaica, AKA a depression. Now this will always be a mass of clouds and never be considered a hurricane. :roll:

I also heard Meteorologists are hard at work studying the protein imbalance of the stupid cells on this rock. AKA Humans. (Carbon based life forms. :roll:
:lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.