• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

PM1500 UHF audio issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I have a PM1500 UHF that I use for both amateur radio and GMRS. The problem I'm having is when using a repeater. I'm able to transmit my audio through the repeater with no problem as long as the repeater carrier has dropped. If I key my radio while the repeater carrier is present, i.e., right after the other station unkeys, I'm told that all that is heard is a dead carrier with no audio. If I unkey and wait for the repeater carrier to drop then my audio can be heard. This problem is present on both ham radio and GMRS repeaters that use a PL/CTCSS tone on the input. Any suggestions/clues?

cmdrwill

Problem in the repeater. What model repeater?

Some repeaters do not reset until the repeater's transmitter drops.

SCPD

QRT
Not sure of the model type of the repeater(s). The problem exists on both a GMRS and a 440mhz ham repeater. The problem seems isolated to my radio and not other stations using the same repeater(s). I've used the same GMRS repeater with a different radio and don't have the problem I'm experiencing with this particular radio. I' sure I have a setting wrong in the CPS but can't seem to isolate it.

SCPD

QRT
Definitely not in "talk around". I'm able to key the repeater(s), transmit my audio and communicate with a distant station. The issue is if I key up the repeater right after the other station stops transmitting and the repeater carrier is present. If I wait for the repeater carrier to drop all is fine. I have no issues initiating a contact or maintaining a contact through the repeater unless I key up while the repeater carrier is present. The other stations all tell me that they can hear a dead carrier with no audio when I do key up.

One of the stations I talk to regularly has the same radio and has even shared his codeplug with me. NO changes were made to his codeplug and I still have the same problem with my radio while he has no issues with his.

SCPD

QRT
I haven't checked the PL deviation... unless there's a way to check it in the CPS? I don't have access to a service monitor, etc., to check the specs of the radio.

grem467

I have seen this issue before on older xts3500 radios where the pl deviation was enough to bring up the repeater but not enough to cause an unmute

I have also seen the same when the pl deviation was too high

Can you try it on a carrier squelch repeater and see what the results are?

SCPD

QRT
We only have on UHF repeater in our area that doesn't require a PL tone... I considered doing that in the past but haven't done so.I'll give that a try tomorrow.

christo2112

I know this is an older post, but FYI, this is a "common" problem with PM1500 radios, Has nothing to do with repeaters, DPL levels, etc. Some models of PM1500s have a firmware issue.

Some PM1500s will not transmit microphone audio if there is a carrier detected on the channel, regardless of DPL, PL or CSQ programming. Just like firefighter479 posted...works fine if channel is clear, or repeater carrier has dropped. But if you transmit with repeater still going, which is very normal, you only hear the carrier from the PM1500, no mic audio. Does not matter if it is a repeater channel, or on talk around/simplex.

It is not a transmit inhibit problem, as radio will TX. Plus, there are not TX inhibit settings in ASTRO 25 mobile CPS for PM1500 radios, like there are in Mototrbo CPS.

The fix is a firmware upgrade. So any radios with this problem need to be shipped to Moto, or taken to your local dealer. Firefighter, hopefully you've figured this out by now, but wanted to make sure anyone searching this issue would be able to find the correct info on it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.