Not open for further replies.

grissgray

Hi everyone
Myself and friends are big into PMR we use channel 8 all the time,

It seems to be getting busy with kids

Can we use channel 16 in Ireland

Thanks

2e0mfp

I would think so, the PMR channels were increased from 8 to 16 and it's Europe wide so I don't see a problem with using Ch16. I use Ch10 myself :)

2e0mfp

I'm in middle England, you're welcome to look up my callsign (username) on qrz.com for a more exact QTH :)

GW7MGW

I use PMR466 however how legal it is I don't know, the radios when they arrived were out of band, and I used chirp to reprogram them to PMR466 frequencies, but there is nothing on the radio to say they are correctly tuned and power at correct level, but who is likely to stop me and check in Mid Wales? And I know they are set correctly now, we use them on the push bikes to say things hang on my chains come off.

2e0mfp

.... but who is likely to stop me and check in Mid Wales?....
TBH no-one, OFCOM won't bother to check unless you're causing interference to a paid licence user (very unlikely) and plod won't bother unless there's a crime involving walkie talkies they're looking into. So I wouldn't worry. They might not be 100% legal but no-one really cares in this day and age. If the radios look like toys there's even less chance of being bothered (I've got some like that), plus the range is usually only a mile at most anyway, regardless of power, so no-one will hear you most of the time, and only if they're listening to the right channel. If you keep on 446 PMR and don't use any other peoples frequencies you'll be fine imho.

GW7MGW

Not sure if OFCOM have ever been interested in what goes on in the republic, but may be will Ulster. I have dropped the power to legal limit, and in North Wales I set one up in bedroom and did a test riding my bike along the banks of the Dee, started in Shotton and travelling towards Chester got nearly to Saltley before I lost signal around 5 miles, however it seems the use of tone squelch means people are unaware of others on the channel so you get cut off by other stations, no is this frequency in use on PMR.

Minus1

TBH no-one, OFCOM won't bother to check unless you're causing interference to a paid licence user (very unlikely) and plod won't bother unless there's a crime involving walkie talkies they're looking into. So I wouldn't worry. They might not be 100% legal but no-one really cares in this day and age. If the radios look like toys there's even less chance of being bothered (I've got some like that), plus the range is usually only a mile at most anyway, regardless of power, so no-one will hear you most of the time, and only if they're listening to the right channel. If you keep on 446 PMR and don't use any other peoples frequencies you'll be fine imho.
For years OFCOM have not been able to stop kids illegally using US FRS radios that interfere with fire brigade walkie talkies in cities - so I wouldn't worry about legally using 446 in rural Wales!

Status
Not open for further replies.