"Pocket" scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcscan

I currently have a handheld scanner, but it would be nice to have something even smaller I could always carry around with me. Do they make anything like this? I know there are small mp3 players that can receive FM radio, and I know I've seen "keychain"-like FM radios joggers can use, so it must be possible to make one of those that can receive on the police band (in the 100's and 400's).

I suppose I should also ask if laws regarding scanning (I'm in California) change if you are moving around with one as opposed to just listening at home.

Thanks in advance.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
If you don't require digital, or trunking capabilities, the Icom IC-R2, and IC-R5 are very small. Alinco made a couple small ones also.

morfis

Icom IC-R5 is about the best of the pocket-sized scanners. IC-R2 also quite good but a pain the programme. Alinco DJ-X3 another option but looks terrible (not that it would matter if in your pocket!) and isn't very user-friendly.

N4JNW

Alinco now makes a "credit card" size reciever... I've thought about getting one... just for on the fly scanning..

AES Ham radio store has them...

bna92

One nice thing about the Alinco DJ-X3T and the DJ-X7T is that you can use either an internal bar antenna, the antenna on the SMA connector, or the headphone cable as an antenna. These options could come useful if the rubber duck antenna keeps poking at your belly!

N4JNW

Yeah... that's why I wanted it... Slip that dude in your pocket, run you a ear bud up through your shirt, and do some covert scanning....

DickH

jcscan said:
I currently have a handheld scanner, but it would be nice to have something even smaller ... I know I've seen "keychain"-like FM radios joggers can use, so it must be possible to make one of those that can receive on the police band (in the 100's and 400's). ...

There is no reason scanners can't be made the size of cellphones. Look at the small size of some and the capabilities they have - cameras, wireless, etc.
They all receive in the trunking mode, plus they transmit as well.

The scanner manufacturers seem to be stuck in the traditional mud.

N4JNW

You're right.... WHY do scanners have to be so big and blocky? I'd like to have a scanner the size of my cell phone... That'd be TIGHT!

morfis

bna92 said:
One nice thing about the Alinco DJ-X3T and the DJ-X7T is that you can use either an internal bar antenna, the antenna on the SMA connector, or the headphone cable as an antenna. These options could come useful if the rubber duck antenna keeps poking at your belly!

Trouble is the reception is pants without the duckie (unless all you want to scan is broadcast radio)

N4JNW

Can the headphone cable really be used as the antenna though? Then you'd be able to hear more than broadcast.

OR, get one of those really little "bullet" HT antenna's and put on it... Be better than none..

Status
Not open for further replies.